Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tizer 170 posts 201 karma points
    Jun 21, 2013 @ 08:32
    Tizer

Which umbraco for me?

ok - I'm excited, I am going to install a brand new version of umbraco on a up to date server after being stuck with v4.03 and a 2005 sql / server for many years.

The question is - which one? Oviously I am only skilled in version 4.03 which used xslt and I know there have been changes, but honestly I haven't kept up to date with the changes as I never thought I would be using them.

So is there big changes which I would have to relearn with version 6 - v6.0.6, or shall I go for the latest (and last it seems) 4 - v4.11.10 (nm... maybe I just answered that question... )

Has anyone done similar? How did you find it?

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Jun 21, 2013 @ 09:16
    Dan

Hi Tizer, and welcome back ;)

If I was installing afresh I'd go latest v6.1.1.  Actually not a massive amount has changed on the surface - you can still use XSLT and the extension methods that go along with it (although there has been a change to the schema since 4.0.3, which takes a little getting used to but is much better).  Also 6.1.1 offers pretty comprehensive MVC support if you want to change direction and deploy some different skills (or learn some new ones).

A handy little blog post on this, from some trusted folks, can be seen here: http://www.umbrellainc.co.uk/blog/should-you-upgrade-from-umbraco-4x-to-6/.  It kind of makes the same conclusion.

Hope this helps, and good luck in getting back into it!

• Tizer 170 posts 201 karma points
    Jun 23, 2013 @ 03:30
    Tizer

Thanks Dan - most helpful :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft