Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tizer 170 posts 201 karma points
    May 12, 2012 @ 12:26
    Tizer

How to move 550mg scripted mssql database? (which has errors)

The title says it all :(

I'm trying to move a scripted database which is 550mg in size.... I scrited it using MSSQL Manager, but can't use this to move it as I get a memory error... so I am trying via the command line using sqlcmd - but it gives me a syntax error on line 257345.

This is the code I am using:

sqlcmd -S <server> -d <database> -U <user> -P <password> -i "C:\<path>\<file>.sql"

I can't open the file to view this error due to memory issues and I don't have access .bak files on the server over the weekend.

What are my options?

Can you create a .bak via command line and save it locally?

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    May 12, 2012 @ 14:59
    Dan

Hi,

The consensus seems to be that the native SQL Management Studio scripter won't preserve data relations correctly.  Instead, I'd try SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard, although I'm not sure what kind of data limit it has.  See more about database transfer experiences here: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/31580-Using-SQL-Database-publishing-wizard-to-transfer-database-will-it-work.

The other thing to try would be to reduce the size of the database to begin with.  Again, this topic has been covered recently: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/31626-Questions-about-dealing-with-large-database.  The umbracoLog table can grow very large on old databases, so providing you don't need the audit trail data you can happily truncate that table and it may lead to a more manageable size of database.

I hope this helps with your problem - keep us posted :)

• Tizer 170 posts 201 karma points
    May 16, 2012 @ 03:35
    Tizer

Thanks for your answer Dan, very helpful :)

I haven't tried anything else with this yet... I will update once I do

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft