Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Mason 20 posts 40 karma points
    May 01, 2012 @ 12:48
    Peter Mason

Nothing in Umbraco log table

I have developed an Umbraco website on my local development PC and logging works fine there, but when I upload the web app to a shared hosting environment, nothing is being logged to the Umbraco log table.

I have checked all the obvious things (or at least I think I have checked them all - this is my first Umbraco website)

What could I be missing?

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    May 03, 2012 @ 11:13
    Tim

Hiya,

Does the site work normally? Can you log into the back office OK? Also, check if you have logging disabled in your UmbracoSettings.config file.

May 08, 2012 @ 04:24
    Peter Mason

Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the site works perfectly. I have it hosted in a medium trust environment, and everything works perfectly, except the logging.

I checked the UmbracoSettings file like you said, but logging is enabled. (enableLogging and enableAsyncLogging both set to true)

Any other ideas?

Usually you look in the log to see the errors, but what if the log is broken?

What then?

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    May 08, 2012 @ 09:52
    Tim

That's very odd. It sounds like everything is set up correctly, so not sure what's happening there. You could try installing ELMAH on the site (there's a dashboard package available for it too so you can view the logs in the back office) to do your error logging instead. It logs more detailed errors than Umbraco does, and gives you more verbose error messages (you can get the original YSOD error message, which is handy for debugging).

We use it on all of our sites these days, it's an excellent error logging system.

May 08, 2012 @ 11:30
    Peter Mason

Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

We have elmah and it is working fine.

Unfortunately it is not giving any indication as to why the umbraco logging is not working.

May 14, 2012 @ 04:05
    Peter Mason

For anyone who has this error in future, turns out the Datestamp column didn't have the (getdate()) set as the default value in the database. Umbraco doesn't set that field as part of the log record insert and relies on the db to do the timestamp.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft