Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 19 posts 49 karma points
    Apr 18, 2012 @ 15:20
    Matt

Installing Umbraco 4.7 with Existing database. Password issues

I have inherited a customer with an Umbraco installation.

In an attempt to head off trouble, I have installed 4.7 from Codeplex (It gives me what I asusme is an empty umbraco project.

I also have a complete copy of the customers live database.

However (and this is the reason I have got involved), the previous administrator has gone awol, and no one knows the admin password.

Being as the passwords are all hashed, I want to know initially if I can manually create a new admin account, and if so, can I also generate a password hash?

Secondly, if I have the application and database form the website, all installed along with .net4, is there anythign else I need to install to get this running?

The server wont be updated to Umbraco5, so I cant use the WebInstaller, and Im having to do this the hardway it seems.

Thanks

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Apr 22, 2012 @ 14:29
    Mark Bennett

Matt,

A google for 'umbraco lost admin password' brought up the following link - http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/4790-ouch-forgot-admin-password-how-to-reset

The above presumes you have access to the database.

By application I presume you mean the umbraco directory that was mapped to the webbie. If that's it then that is all you should need.

Mark.

• Neil Tootell 73 posts 118 karma points
    Apr 24, 2012 @ 13:36
    Neil Tootell

Hi Matt,

I've had this problem before and got around it with a cheeky hack - certainly worked on early 4 releases - not sure about the latest 4.7's but worth a try...

1. Make sure you have access to the database - back it up

2. Change the passwordFormat="Hashed" to passwordFormat="Clear" in the root web.config under the <membership> section

3. Go into the database using management studio - copy the current hashed password into a text file for the user you want to log in as, and replace with a plain text password of your choice

4. Log into umbraco with your new password

5. Go to the users section of umbraco and edit your own user, enter a new password - but don't hit save yet

6. Edit the web.config file and set passwordFormat back to "Hashed"

7. Save your new password in umbraco

8. Job done.

I've used this a couple of times before to get me out of the same problem. If it all goes wrong, you can paste the hashed password from your original vale back into the database and make sure everything is set back to hashed in the web.config

Regards

Neil

• Matt 19 posts 49 karma points
    Apr 24, 2012 @ 13:40
    Matt

Thanks Mark / Neil.

I got round it in a similar vein. I finally managed to find a user that knew their password. They were only able to edit content, but I copied their password hash into the admin field, and I was away.

So now I need to thank the user for giving their password away, then remind them that they shouldnt have done it and now need to change it :-)

So this can be marked as complete / closed or however things work round here!

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Apr 24, 2012 @ 14:12
    Mark Bennett

Matt,

Good stuff, glad you sorted it.

I think it's up to you to mark one of the posts as the answer as you were the thread starter ;)

Mark.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft