Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• skaue 43 posts 44 karma points
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 13:01
    skaue

Norwegian translation of Umbraco does not work

This is a follow-up on

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst9991_Norwegian-language-file-not-working.aspx

and 

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst7952_Language-files-for-UI-not-working.aspx

I have the latest releast (4.0.2.1) running and the Norwegian translation still doesn't work. I get the same result as "azzlack" (see link above).

(btw, this forum probably needs a "bugs" section)

Jul 06, 2009 @ 14:00
    skaue

Please reopen this ticket.. it is NOT resolved:

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=22877

Jul 06, 2009 @ 14:12
    skaue

Just to make sure there wasnt anything wrong with the norwegian xml I did a small test.

I copied a working swedish translation, modified the header info to point to Norwegian, keeping everything else as swedish (replacing se with no, etc). I even called the lang "Norwegian test", just to see if the xml was actually loaded in the language dropdown.

The language shows up as selectable in the drop down, but sure enough, if you choose it, the translation does not load. If you choose swedish, it loads perfectly. Something is dead wrong when it tries to load the norwegian translation. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the original norwegian XML is tagged with LCID = 20, which is wrong. The Norwegian bokmal LCID is 1044.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 14:29
    Peter Dijksterhuis

I believe umbraco does not look at the LCID. The Dutch one is set to 19, the language-file does work correctly.

My guess is that it has to do with the culture somehow. It is set to nb-NO, I think it is correct (however there is also another one, thought it was nw-NO or something). Could be that your server uses a different one though, causing that umbraco can't load it.

Also, swedish seem to have 2 files (se.xml and sv.xml) Could it be that norwegian also needs 2 files?

Just thinking out loud here.

TH,

PeterD

Jul 06, 2009 @ 14:35
    skaue

Has anyone yet declared you as a a brilliant genious? ;-)

I copied no.xml and renamed the copy nb.xml, uploaded it, and refreshed.... Kaschwing!

Finally! Thanks!... basically no.xml doesn't work, but nb.xml does work... I'll update the ticket!

Jul 06, 2009 @ 14:48
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Glad that worked out ok :)

I wonder though, if you delete the no.xml, does it break then? What I mean, are the 2 files necessary to have both or is 1 sufficient? (If I recall correctly, swedish needs both files, if you delete either one, it breaks)

Cheers,

PeterD

Jul 06, 2009 @ 15:36
    skaue

Yup... Sure enough; deleting no.xml broke the translation....

What kind of weird logic explains this phenomenon??

I've also noticed that some strings does not seem to get trough to the UI, like the context-menu when rightclicking nodes in content. The other translations work, but not the Norwegian one. Yes, I've tripple-checked that the XML contains the necessary nodes. 

Close to giving up on this one... :-(

Jul 06, 2009 @ 16:05
    Peter Dijksterhuis

I'm not sure why this is like it behaves. There should be a post on the old forum about the swedish language-files. Not sure if there was explained why both files where needed though.

Did you check if the swedish translation works like it should? (context-menu). If that works, maybe you can see differences between the 2 swedish files?

I'll have a look tonight when I am at home, I'm interested by this one ;-)

Jul 06, 2009 @ 16:06
    skaue

I just checked that the language javascript-file gets filled with valid entries for the actions on context menu:

regardless the text is [create]

I tested switching to Italian, and the Italian translation gets its strings through to the UI, but not the Norwegian translation.

Perhaps someone who knows the system under the hood can try to figure out what is going on?

Jul 06, 2009 @ 16:08
    skaue

Another weird thing is that if I choose English (uk) as language, I get all the xml-files as options in the dropdown combo, but when I choose Norwegian as language, I see only some of the languages. I even miss out on the Swedish translation, for some strange reason...

Perhaps I've messed up my system by now... :p

• Espen Ruud Schultz 6 posts 36 karma points
    Feb 09, 2013 @ 20:06
    Espen Ruud Schultz

I cannot believe reading these post from 2009 now in 2013 and the "bug" is still there.  Making a copy of the no.xml and calling it nb.xml works.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft