Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Oscar 1 post 22 karma points
    Dec 02, 2011 @ 12:43
    Oscar

Work around to Database connection failed in clean local install of Umbraco 4.7.1

Just in case anyone else experiences the same issue as me when trying to install a clean local copy of Umbraco 4.7.1 and getting a connection failed error message on the setup database step.

The work around I got working for me is:

Edit the web.config file in the root folder directly using Visual Studio (i.e. replace the dummy connection string details with the correct connection string details.)

After that, head back to the browser, fill the form in with the same information as you did before. Then hit the button and this time round, it should be able to connect to the database server and populate the blank database instead of giving you a database connection failed error message.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 04, 2011 @ 23:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Oscar

It's great that you're sharing the workaround so others can try this out if they encounter the same issue as well.

But I'm a little curious about if you have set the proper permissions for the network service and the iusr on the umbraco root folder? I suspect that the issue itself is related to a permission issue.

/Jan

• patrick iversen 15 posts 40 karma points
    Jan 13, 2012 @ 11:00
    patrick iversen

Had the same issue, and tried the fix and it still didn't work even with proper permissions. Turns out I had characters in the database and database user that ms sql didn't like at all. Like dots in password and database name DOH.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft