Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• timvdh 7 posts 29 karma points
    Jun 25, 2009 @ 14:23
    timvdh

Multiple portals in one wwwroot?

Hi,

looking for a DNN alternative I found umbraco and I like the concept a lot, but there are some difficulties. I think umbraco is harder to host since it requires high trust, but I could get around that by investing in my own root server. I want to be able to manage a number of domains on that server. Is umbraco prepared for that at all? I could not find any info. With DNN I can use a cheap hosting solution, map 10 domains to that host and have DNN sort out which portal must be displayed. I can then give admin rights to foo.com to user 1 and to bar.com to user 2.

If umbraco was not designed for that: can I rent a root server with 10 IP addresses, install 10 webs and put umbraco in each? That would be a lot of maintenance (updating umbraco) though.

Thanks for any hint... sorry if the answer is obvious. I installed umbraco locally and I can generate contents, but they all seem to belong to the one and only portal / web / url.

Regards

Tim

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jun 25, 2009 @ 14:30
    Darren Ferguson

You can host as many domains as you want in a single umbraco instance.

It is as simple as right clicking a top level node and associating a domain with that node.

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Jun 25, 2009 @ 14:30
    Fredrik Esseen

Hi!

U can rightclick any node in the tree and choose "Manage domainnames". That way u can create multiple sites in one.

• timvdh 7 posts 29 karma points
    Jun 25, 2009 @ 14:34
    timvdh

That was quick... thanks! I hadn't figured out the right mouse button. A lot more stuff there.

Regards

Tim

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft