Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Raheel 62 posts 81 karma points
    Jun 14, 2011 @ 23:54
    Raheel

Installation Issues on Win 2008 R2 IIS7

Hello,

I have upgraded my server and have issues to instal umbraco.

1. Its a completely new installed Windows 2008 RS with latest IIS.
    Has the latest v of plesk installed with the latest .net framework.

2. I download the 4.7.0 copy from http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/62573

3. Upload it via ftp and when gone to setup, it requires me to add NETWORK SERVICE / ASP.NET to the permissions. In Win 2008 R2 there isn't any.

Researched a but and found that I need to add the username of the app pool. So it was APPPOOL/USER
    and this worked. The permission were fine and went to the next step.

4. (This is the issue)

The installation will not accept any database.
    It says it does not connect.

I have tried entering MySQL and MS SQL Express DB where in the host area I went till the extent of trying, localhost & even the IP address of the server.

I had no luck.
    I know the database works as I got a script to test if the database connects.

With that script it showed that all details allowed to connect to the database.

4.1 (This is what I tried)

Then I simply went into the webconfig and entered the Data String and went back to the install page.
    It allowed me to install, and completed the installation with allowing me to install templates, choose password etc.

After the installation it took me to Umbraco Administration which is www.urlname.com/umbraco/

But when ever I go to the home page, it keeps on redirectly me back to the installation page.
    Even if I delete the installation files, it keeps on redirectly me back to it.

Conclusion:

So pretty much the 4.1 step was useless.

Can some one help me getting umbraco installed?

Jun 15, 2011 @ 00:10
    Raheel

Update -

On HTTPDOC folder when I set the permission to everyone on 777, every thing works like a charm!

Is there any permission that I am missing for it to communicate with databases?

Jun 21, 2011 @ 23:59
    Raheel

Hello, anyone, please?    

: (

• Rajeev 126 posts 154 karma points
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 04:03
    Rajeev

Hello Raheel,

Have you gone through this link.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008

Especially check the permissions and database section for manual install. This helped me.

Thanks,

Rajeev

Jun 22, 2011 @ 04:08
    Raheel

Hi Rajeev,

Yes I have.

As mentioned above on my first post:

When creating a new website in IIS 7, the identity for the Application Pool is by default set to ApplicationPoolIdentity.
    This will throw errors around when you extract the Umbraco files and try to load the page. 
    To fix these errors, simply change the user in the batch script above from

NETWORK SERVICE

to

IIS APPPOOL\{application-pool-name}

where {application-ppol-name} is the name of the Application Pool which your website is running under.

For a less secure, but more reusable script, you could also change

NETWORK SERVICE

to

IIS_IUSRS

which will give all app pool identities access, rather than just the website specific app pool identity (similar to the old NETWORK SERVICE account).

--
    And as said this is what has happened:

4. (This is the issue)

The installation will not accept any database.
    It says it does not connect.

I have tried entering MySQL and MS SQL Express DB where in the host area I went till the extent of trying, localhost & even the IP address of the server.

I had no luck.
    I know the database works as I got a script to test if the database connects.

With that script it showed that all details allowed to connect to the database.

4.1 (This is what I tried)

Then I simply went into the webconfig and entered the Data String and went back to the install page.
    It allowed me to install, and completed the installation with allowing me to install templates, choose password etc.

After the installation it took me to Umbraco Administration which is www.urlname.com/umbraco/

But when ever I go to the home page, it keeps on redirectly me back to the installation page.
    Even if I delete the installation files, it keeps on redirectly me back to it.

Jun 22, 2011 @ 04:14
    Rajeev

I didn't face any problem for IIS 7 and windows 7. It was very simple.

Could you check the db you used have the umbraco tables installed.

Thanks

-Rajeev

Jun 22, 2011 @ 04:15
    Rajeev

Were you  able to login to Admin?

If you are able to login, the database problem is not there.

The admin login validation is done using database.

If not,

Try again with manual install from scratch and let me know. First  create a database and user with the permissions mentioned in the database. While installing specify this database details.

Also ensure that ASP.Net 4.0 is properly installed and apppool is set properly. You have to provide permission for that apppool to the folders mentioned.

Note: For installing templates you need to provide write permission for IIS USR to C:\windows\temp folder. This issue I had initially with windows 7.

• Steen Tøttrup 191 posts 291 karma points c-trib
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 07:00
    Steen Tøttrup

It sounds a bit like the Umbraco app doesn't have access to writing to the web.config. When the website is being installed it puts the connect string in the web.config file, and when the installation is done, it puts a version value into the web.config file.

You need to give read/write access to the web.config file, just like you've done with the Scripts, XSLT, etc. folder.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 07:56
    Rich Green

Hey,

Two things.

If you think Umbraco is installed correctly but it's still going to the install page then manually enter the version number into the web.config file

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="4.7.0" />

2nd, in my opinion the reason you are having problems is due to Plesk, this has it's own set of permissions/users, take a look here http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/installing-umbraco-461-on-plesk-shared-host

Rich

Jun 23, 2011 @ 04:10
    Raheel

Hey...

I just tried it on a fresh new sub domain.

Followed steps from: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/installing-umbraco-461-on-plesk-shared-host
    This time I done the permissions from Plesk.

Yes it worked!

But... The database still fails.

After I enter the database details, it shows 1% does and quickly changes to:

Database connection initialisation failed. 

Jun 27, 2011 @ 00:01
    Raheel

Looks like there is no help here  : (

Jun 27, 2011 @ 05:30
    Rajeev

Raheel,

If you have only issues with database, following the Step 4 in the documentation will help

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008

Hope rest of your problems are sorted out.

Thanks,

Rajeev

• Kevin R. Smith 26 posts 48 karma points
    Jan 11, 2013 @ 00:11
    Kevin R. Smith

I know this is an old post but I just Googled the problem and this thread came up. SO, in case this is of help:

Rich Green offered the correct solution (at least for me).

Symptoms: Everytime I went to the website, it would flip to the install page. I would go through the install page (next, next, etc.) and then it would forward me to the administration page.

Solution: I gave proper permissions (in this case I gave IUSR to modify, etc. - this is on an intranet site so security isn't a concern) to the web.config file and then tested. Success!! Hope this helps out!

I'm running umbraco v 4.11.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.4715.27659) and I also did a manual install.

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Jan 13, 2013 @ 22:40
    Charles Afford

Hi,  can you connect to your database in management studio?  and with the credentials you provide to connect in the umbraco installation, are you able to modify the blank database you create in SQL? (I.E create a table and remove it)  What version of windows are you using as well? :)  Charles.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft