Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:15
    Matt Brailsford

Random 500 Internal Server Error, umbraco.config permission denied

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a site locally (Umbraco 4.5.2). It has been working fine in the past, but today when I go to use it, I seem to keep getting random 500 Internal Server Errors on various resources (refreshing may fix it for that resource, but then random other resources then error). I hooked up a HTTP Traffic Sniffer to see what is going on, and it reports that:

Access to the path: "C:\...\...\App_Data\umbraco.config' is denied.

As this is my personal development machine, I have set the root folder permissions to allow full access to everyone, so can't see how it is denied access (the fact that some resources work would also suggest it's not permissions).

Anybody else seen this issue? and know of any fixes?

Cheers

Matt

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:18
  • jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:18
    jaygreasley

Have you checked in Event Viewer to see if there are any clues?

Do you have that site set up in SVN, VS etc ? Another process may have a lock on the file.

(look at using http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 to see if that is the case)

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:19
    Douglas Robar

Got any custom event handlers, cool but not overly used/tested packages, etc? What's "special" about this site?

Anything in the umbracoLog table or the Event Handler?

Is the random problem file always umbraco-related or could it be a media file or css or ???

Just looking for patterns and potential issues.

cheers,
    doug.

• Ian Smedley 97 posts 192 karma points
    Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:22
    Ian Smedley

Certainly sounds like a permissions issue, I find most Umbraco isses can be tracked back to a permissions issue.

Few things, check that when permissions are set to the root folder, that you've ticked "Replace all existing inheritable pemissions on all descendants with inheritable permissions from this object" is ticked.

Check it's not read only - I've had this before now!

I guess the other option is to create a whole new folder for the website, then move the files in with nice new, fresh permissions.

Being as it's a development machine, I guess it's unlikley to be locked by file replication software, I've had that before.

That's all I can think at the moment, the obvious stuff....

Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:30
    Matt Brailsford

@Jeroen it is a different error I am getting, so not sure they are related.

@Jay there doesn't seem to be anything un-tuward in the Event Log. And I have run LockHunter to make sure nothing is locking on the file.

@Doug There aren't any custom event handlers. It's a really basic site really. Only a couple of packages installed.

@Ian all checked and seems to be setup correctly.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:31
    Douglas Robar

Okay, if it's a simple site then... package it up and import it into a new 4.5.2 installation. #workaround

cheers,
    doug.

Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:31
    Matt Brailsford

Ok, so I seem to have found the issue, though why it was not showing up before, I don't know. But I have visual studio open, working on the project. Closing visual studio has stopped the erroring, so I assume VS was locking the file for some reason.

As Jay was the closest, I'll award him the answer.

Cheers guys

Matt

• Ian Smedley 97 posts 192 karma points
    Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:35
    Ian Smedley

You never mentioned that you had Visual Studio open! Glad it's working.

\o/

Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:36
    Matt Brailsford

@Ian I'm a developer, assume it's always open ;)

Thanks for the help anyway.

Matt

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:36
    Lee

I sometimes get this problem, but its because my website and solution are both in dropbox - and that is always syncing files, if I am making a lot of changes I turn off dropbox and that solves my problems.

Jun 02, 2011 @ 13:40
    Matt Brailsford

@Lee weird. I'm not syncing dropbox, and I don't have it under source control (sorry if that offends anybody ;). I do have a continues backup up that could have been the problem, but I discounted that as it wasn't running.

One to add to the memory bank never the less.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft