Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• drongo 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jun 01, 2011 @ 18:54
    drongo

Stumped by "The SQL provider cannot run because of a missing dependecy"

Cannot install umbraco on Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit using the Web Platform Installer.

SQL database is on another server.

Error message:

"EXCEPTION: Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentFatalException: The SQL provider cannot run because of a missing dependency. Please make sure that Microsoft SQL Server Management Objects (Version 10 or higher) is installed. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParser, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParser, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'
    at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.SMOHelper.GetATypeFromBatchParserDll()
    at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.SMOHelper.ThrowIfSmoCannotBeLoaded()"

I'd like to convert to umbraco - but so far have fallen at the first hurdle :-(

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 06, 2011 @ 18:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Drongo

Did you ever manage to move forward with this issue?

/Jan

• drongo 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jun 07, 2011 @ 09:21
    drongo

No, nobody has been able to help me.

I would love to convert to Umbraco (I use DotNetNuke) but the installer doesn't work (for me).

Very disappointed :-(

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 08, 2011 @ 21:20
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Drongo

I can understand that you would like to convert your existing projects to Umbraco.

I'm sorry you have run into this problem, which is currently keeping you from doing so.

It's hard for me to tell what's going wrong during your installation since I don't know how your environment is setup. But I'm thinking you should maybe consider skipping the Web installer and doing the installation manually perhaps?

Perhaps you find this article on installing Umbraco on windows 7 using Web PI interesting? http://peterkellner.net/2010/07/10/installing-umbraco-to-win7-step-by-step/

When he comes to the step where he needs to create a database on sqlexpress he goes back a step and writes the information needed to connect to an external sqlserver instead and then he's succesfull.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jun 08, 2011 @ 22:02
    jaygreasley

Looking at the error and considering the database is on a separate server I'd say that the SQL Server client components are not installed. 

Has this web server previously been configured to access the SQL Server? (be that for DNN or other web apps).

If not I'd suggest installing the SQL Server client tools.

hth

j

• Adam 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jul 29, 2011 @ 16:32
    Adam

Sorry to dig up an old topic, however I too am experiencing this.

Installed on a local enviroment (Windows 7, IIS7) without a problem

Then installed on one of our dev boxes (Win Server 08) and received the same issue as the OP

Both enviroments were connecting to the same remote DB server (SQL Enterprise 05)

I've tried a few topics around the web about installing various management objects, but with no luck.

EDIT:

All of a sudden it started to work, I hadn't installed/changed anything, but gave it one more try and it went through fine...

• Justin McKinley 1 post 21 karma points
    Aug 18, 2011 @ 21:39
    Justin McKinley

I ran into this issue installing umbraco via web installer on Windows Server 2003 x64 via web installer, and I was able to resolve it. I'm not sure which exact step was the solution, as I took a shotgun approach (out of frustration), but here's what I did:

From this page (for Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Feature Pack),

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=16978

I downloaded the following items, both x86 and x64:

• Microsoft® System CLR Types for SQL Server® 2008 R2
    • Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Shared Management Objects
    • Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Native Client
    Starging with the CLR, I then went through and installed each package (including the x86 ones). Some (at least one) of them told me I couldn't install because it was the wrong version of the operating system, so just forget that one. The x64 ones will already be installed, so they will just give you the option to modify, so do that.
    After that, without having to reboot, I just re-ran the web install for Umbraco, and it worked.
    My guess is that it needed some of the x86 components to be installed as well.
    Let me know if this fixes it for you. 
  • Geoff 1 post 21 karma points
    Aug 23, 2011 @ 11:36
    Geoff

Many Thanks Julian. I had the same issue and went back and installed x86 versions and works fine now. You saved me a heap of time.

• bla 1 post 21 karma points
    Oct 06, 2011 @ 12:12
    bla

Faced the same issue as topic starter, my platform is Windows 2008 R2.

As Justin adviced I installed the items mentioned but the Native Client x86 doesn't run on x64 platform.

Installed Microsoft® System CLR Types for SQL Server® 2008 R2(x86) and than Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Shared Management Objects(x86).

That did the trick.

• Kim Kahler 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 03, 2011 @ 02:25
    Kim Kahler

Had the same issue on a Peer1 hosted Win 2008 Webserver. Your fix got me going. Thanks

• Todd Smith 9 posts 30 karma points
    Apr 16, 2012 @ 20:40
    Todd Smith

I had to install the x86 versions of the CLR Types and SMO libraries on our x64 box. Then restart the web platform installer.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft