Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• kalor 12 posts 32 karma points
    Jan 23, 2011 @ 10:20
    kalor

starter kit fail

Hi guys,

Total noob here. Just downloaded and installed Umbraco, and it timed out installing the starter kit (business). When I got to installing skins it just took me back to the same page with no message. When I tried a different skin it took me to "you're done". Is there supposed to be content with a starter kit? I have no content and only two document types: "u media slider" and "u media sliders". I've tried using the links to install other starter kits but nothing changes. Should I start again? How do I do that?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2011 @ 17:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kalor

Just to be clear here - is it Umbraco 4.6.1 that you have installed? (This is the latest stable release).

Can you tell us a bit more about your setup? Is it run locally or on a webhost?

Has the sufficient permissions been set for the network service and iusr? Is the application pool running integrated mode?

Please ellaborate a bit more - then it's easier to help you out. (This could perhaps also be an unreported bug...hard to tell at the moment :))

/Jan

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Jan 23, 2011 @ 21:05
    Nick Portelli

Same happens here.  I'm running locally, in integrated mode.  It works on a clean install it seems but if you upgrade then it does not work at all...or if you try and change a skin.

• Mike 21 posts 42 karma points
    Jan 23, 2011 @ 21:30
    Mike

@kalor
    It seems to me that it´s an permission issue. The installer isn´t the best thing when it comes to check if the permission settings is correct for Umbraco. The things that you describe have happend to me also when the server dosen´t have the correct permissions. Just to bad that Umbraco dosen´t seems to check that.

Take a look at this thread
    http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/16477-Installed-umbraco

/M

• Leon Degeling 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 23, 2011 @ 23:46
    Leon Degeling

I had the same problem yesterday, installed umbraco with lots of trial and error until the permissions seemed ok. After this the starterkit was a mess and could not be repaired. Today I did a clean install of umbraco (new database and a fresh rootfolder) making sure the permissions were set up correctly from the beginning. Everything looks perfect now, so i can confirm Mike's post.

• kalor 12 posts 32 karma points
    Jan 24, 2011 @ 10:54
    kalor

It's installed locally but the db is remote. Yes it's the latest stable version, running on Win 7.

It's added the tables to the db on the db server, and added a lot of files and file structure locally, so it doesn't look like permissions.

How do I kill Umbraco so I can do a clean install? Is there an option in MS WebMatrix somewhere?

• JP Hellemons 2 posts 21 karma points
    Jan 17, 2012 @ 10:48
    JP Hellemons

Hi, I have exactly the same. At the install permission page there is nothing wrong. I have a windows 7 x64 machine running iis7 and have a virtual directory with umbraco registered as application. It has it's own asp.net 4 application pool (integrated, default) and I choose to use the SQL CE as database. I have tried the stable umbraco 4.7 and the beta 5.0 rc2. Both have the same issue with the business starter kit (never tried an other option) which is installed half. When I remove the package by using the control panel and try to re-add it. I get errors. Any ideas? Can I provide you with logs or something? or should I open a new topic?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft