Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• harpreet 17 posts 37 karma points
    Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:29
    harpreet

Unable to install Umbraco on local website

Hi,

I am totally new to Umraco. Infact this is my first post to the forums. I am trying from quite some time to get Umbraco working. I intend to install CMs on the subdomain of my site.

Initially, I tried to install Umbraco on my local ASP.NET and chose the web platform installation. During the installation process, I get this error:

User or role 'sarin' does not exist in the database. How do I create one?

Secondly, whenI was creating subdomain, the Panel showed ASP.NET 2.0 support for subdomain. I know that my host provides support for ASP.NET 3.5 for my main domain.

Is it that I read something wrong while creating subdomain or subdomain will have different ASP.NET support?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 09, 2011 @ 22:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Harpreet

Have you chosen to install the MSSQL server express 2008 as well? If so I think that it's during that process you need to create the DB user as well?

Is it an option for you to download the binaries from codeplex perhaps and install Umbraco using them instead of the installer perhaps?

You can find them here: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/

/Jan

Jan 10, 2011 @ 06:44
    harpreet

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply.I entered the correct Database username and password and I checked the login credentials by logging in to SQL Server Managment Studio Express 2008 through sql authentication.

I have downloaded the binaries from Codeplex but I need some help on what and how to use these?

Jan 10, 2011 @ 18:57
    harpreet

Hi,

Atlast I was able to install Umbraco on my local machine but on trying to run the application from Visual Studio. I encounter this error:

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 22:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi harpreet

sorry for my late answer.

I'm happy that you managed to get Umbraco running locally without further help, even though I would wish I had seen you post earlier - but hey, you got there! :-)

I'm not sure why the error is happening but is there any particular reason why you want to run the application from visual studio?

If it's because you want to develop user controls, xslt files, event handlers etc I think you should consider another approach like the one Matt describes in this blogpost. http://blog.mattbrailsford.com/2010/07/14/visual-studio-project-structure-for-umbraco/

This post done by Aaron could maybe also be of interest to you: http://www.aaron-powell.com/how-i-developer-umbraco

But of course I know this does not answer the actual question you're having...how is your site setup in IIS? Can you perhaps post a screendump?

/Jan

Jan 11, 2011 @ 05:19
    harpreet

Hey Jan,

Thanks! I'll try this and get back.Apart from this, Aaron's post will also work on .NET Framework 3.5, right?

I was also wondering if this can be installed as easily as Wordpress without any local installation if I have a subdomain ready like blog.example.com

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 11, 2011 @ 09:17
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Harpeet: Yes, Aaron's version will work on .net 3.5.

Here's an install video I've made a while back, it still mostly applies to the new version.

And here's my Visual Studio setup, for an alternative idea.

Jan 11, 2011 @ 16:56
    harpreet

Hi Seb,

I tried the steps from your screencast. When I type the name of website in the address bar like http://website20/ ,  the deafult IIS panel is shown and not the website.

I know I am not an expert in this but I have been trying this for a week now constantly trying with some different steps. The problem in only arising becuase I am bound to use an exisiting databse since my host doesnt allow to use more than one MSSQL database. So, I would have to use the same database for my subdomain too. blog.site.com. I have been fighting with SSQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 for the user mappping problem in the database and atlast installed Umbraco using an exising database.

There's only one error left now: Could not create type 'umbraco.webservices.documents.documentService'.    E:\Users\Sarin\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\WebSites\WebSite20\umbraco\webservices\api\DocumentService.asmx    1   

Here's the line from default.aspx which is showing this error.

<%@ WebService Language="C#" CodeBehind="DocumentService.asmx.cs" Class=umbraco.webservices.documents.documentService %>

When I try to access the website, here's the screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/nyx0R.jpg

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 11, 2011 @ 17:55
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just remember that you can't run multiple umbraco instances on one single database because the table names can not be changed and installing the second site would overwrite the tables of the first one. Of course you can have multiple sites within umbraco (just create two nodes under the content section, right-click them and give them a hostname each). 

Regarding your hostname problem, you need to set a hostname in IIS (bindings), in Umbraco (right click on a node and choose Manage Hostsnames), and, if it's something like website20 you also need to add it to your windows hosts file, pointing to the IP address of the webserver.

Well you should Google that config error, it has something to do with a conflict in the hosts config and yours, but I'm not entirely sure what it could be really.

Jan 11, 2011 @ 19:57
    harpreet

Hi Seb,

So.. huff! after a lot fo effort setting up the database, mapping, user roles, etc. etc. I also figured out a way to use this.

I just excluded the web sevices from umbraco/webservices/api from the project and that's it. May be these would have been left out from a previous version or something :-/

1) Other than this, I would  like to ask how do I have to take this online on my subdomain now? Just as it is through ftp?

2) Secondly, I am using a XTML template on my main domain and I think it would be good to keep the same theme and use the same template for Umbraco too. But I wasn't able to figure out how to change the template for this? Can you please elaborate some steps?

Thanks for help

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft