Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew McLellan 8 posts 30 karma points
    Oct 23, 2010 @ 14:20
    Andrew McLellan

Installing Umbraco on GoDaddy?

Hi,

Can anyone give me instructions on how to do this.  I managed to install DNN on GoDaddy and that was supposed to be cumbersome.  All it took was renaming a couple of things and creating a database.

I tried the same process with Umbraco but I just get errors.  Is there not an installation guide anywhere to help with installing it on GoDaddy shared hosting? GoDaddy don't seem to know anything.

Thanks

Andrew

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 23, 2010 @ 14:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrew

What kind of erros do you get when trying to install umbraco? And can we asume you're trying to install v4.5.2?

If I remember correctly godaddy is running medium trust, right? That might be the issue - I know that umbraco can run on medium trust but I don't know what changes need to be made to make it work.

Provide us with some more information so we can be more helpfull :)

/Jan

Oct 23, 2010 @ 15:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi again

Regarding my lack of knowledge on the medium trust thing...turns out that you'll just need to set this app key setting to "true"

<add key="umbracoUseMediumTrust" value="true" />

and maybe you'll also need to uncomment this <!-- <trust level="Medium" originUrl=".*" />-->

/Jan

Oct 23, 2010 @ 20:23
    Andrew McLellan

Hi Jan,

Yes I'm using v. 4.5.2.  After uploading Umbraco and making the necessary changes (connection string/trust level), when I navigate to my website(in a subfolder i.e. one of my domains), I get this error:

500 - Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Also, when doing so on my localhost, I get the following error:

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error
    The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Is there a comprehensive guide on setting up Umbraco on your localhost?

Thanks

MY local computer:

Win 7
    IIS 7.5
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Express 

Oct 24, 2010 @ 03:10
    Jan Skovgaard

On your domain...is the app pool then set to run in integrated mode and is the asp.net version set to 4?

And the same goes for your local host?

I think you could benefit from reading this wiki entry on installing in your localhost http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/newbie-guide-how-to-install-the-45-binaries-on-localhost

Otherwise have a look at the wiki as you'll probably find a solution to your local install problem in there somewhere :-)

/Jan

Oct 24, 2010 @ 17:54
    Andrew McLellan

I have now set it to 4.0.  I'm not sure about integrated mode; regarding app pool the only thing I see see is "recycle app pool", which I'm not sure what that is?

With Asp.NET 4.0 now turned on, I get the following error:

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. 

I'll read up regarding the localhost.  Thanks. :D

Oct 24, 2010 @ 19:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hmm is it something you access through a control panel or something, or do you have access to the IIS directly? Maybe you'll need to contact support to have them set the app pool to run in integrated mode?

If you set the the <custromErrors mode="off" /> in the web.config you can probably get some more usefull information about what is going wrong. Remember to set it back to the default value, once you've seen the error message.

/Jan

Oct 24, 2010 @ 21:51
    Andrew McLellan

I got access in my IIS settings.  Integrated was already selected out of the 2 choices (classic & integrated).

:D 

Oct 24, 2010 @ 22:15
    Andrew McLellan

Edit!!

Ok after changing the trust level in web.config file to full I can now access the installation section.  I will report back.

Oct 24, 2010 @ 22:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hmmmm I think you might need to contact godaddy about that one...I'm out of ideas...maybe some other has something to add? :)

/Jan

Oct 24, 2010 @ 22:35
    Andrew McLellan

The installation section is now up  since I changed webconfig to full trust but the next button is not clickable.  I find it weird no one has posted about these problems before.

Here is what the install pages looks like:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_bwWXgb_fvXg/TMSYbgJqY8I/AAAAAAAADng/YuAXhBI7sUA/s912/Fullscreen%20capture%2024102010%20213051.jpg

Oct 24, 2010 @ 23:27
    Andrew McLellan

Thanks for your replies, Jan.  I finally got it installed.  For now, it's looking ok.

It seems when I initially set my installation folder to allow read/write permission, its child folders didn't inherit that.  Now that I've got it installed, do I need to change any of the read/write permissions of any folders back to deny writing, etc.?

I think I will write a detailed install guide in the coming weeks so other people don't have to go through the same hassle as me lol.

Thanks again

Andrew 

Oct 25, 2010 @ 08:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrew

I'm happy you finally got it to work. High five on the idea of writing an install guide. Will probably be much appriciated by those wanting to run umbraco on godaddy :-)

/Jan

• Tracy K 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 25, 2010 @ 09:25
    Tracy K

Hi !
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

• Vincent 75 posts 98 karma points
    Dec 14, 2010 @ 19:24
    Vincent

Hi, I'm trying to setup a website that is got working on my pc on goddady.com, for now I can't even get the detailled error. See http://ax6canada.com/ anyone has an idea? I set up my database, added writing permissions and my website is at the root level so it should have an application created.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:15
    Amir Khan

Vincent, I don't see any issues on the site you provided a link to?

• Vincent 75 posts 98 karma points
    Dec 14, 2010 @ 22:25
    Vincent

Yeah we decided to move it to a non-shared hosting since we did not find a solution for GoDaddy.

Thank you

• louie_nz 9 posts 29 karma points
    Dec 27, 2010 @ 14:10
    louie_nz

Hi, anyone still keen on this topic? Even if I upgraded to umbraco 4.5.2, the medium trust still does not work. I have set both the <add key="umbracoUseMediumTrust" value="true" /> and <trust level="FUll" originUrl=".*" />. So does it mean 4.5.2 running on a medium trust level is a lie! And it does not help deploying umbraco to GoDaddy? After days of digging it, I am really disappointed about it. Anyone agree with me on this?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Dec 27, 2010 @ 14:34
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

A long time ago I deployed a 4.5.1 site to GoDaddy's shared hosting with no issues.  Unfortunately I don't remember the specific steps, but I just checked the web.config and here are the relevant settings:

In <appSettings> :

In system.web I left the following line commented out and did not specify the trust level

<!--<trust level="Medium" originUrl=".*" />-->

IIS is set for IIS7, ASP.NET 2.0/3.0/3.5, Integrated pipeline

Of course you also need to enable write permissions (I did for the entire site).  I also remember that at the time GoDaddy didn't support .NET 4.0, so I used the 3.5 binaries to install.

Hope this helps.  Next time I will document the steps :)

Thanks,
    Tom

Dec 28, 2010 @ 22:37
    louie_nz

Hi Tom, thank you so much for the advice. I have tried your solution, basically everything is the same as yours except the Umbraco version 4.5.2. However, it is still displaying the error:

"Required permissions cannot be acquired .... could not load file or assembly 'ImageManipulation ....".

In addition, I might not set the write permission correctly. Can you please explain how you set that? Is it set every folder permission under the File Manager of GoDaddy Control center? I made all the folders inherit the permission of Content Root Folder which has both read and write permissions. Anything missing here? Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Louie

Dec 28, 2010 @ 22:41
    louie_nz

Tom, I also use .Net 3.5 and Integrated pipeline, and did <!-- <trust level="FUll" originUrl=".*" /> -->. Thanks.

Dec 28, 2010 @ 23:09
    Tom Fulton

Hi Louie,

Hmm..you are using the .NET 3.5 download from the Codeplex site right?  And are you using the stock web.config from that, besides the changes mentioned above?  Or are you still using the web.config from the 4.0 version?  I just ran a diff between mine and the one that comes with 4.5.2 for 3.5 and didn't find any other major changes.

Also, you are running IIS7, correct?

To set the permissions, I think I was able to do it under Content -> File Manager, clicking on the folder called [Root], clicking Permissions on the toolbar, enabling Write and checking "Reset all children to inherit".  I would try this again just to be sure they are all set properly...

I can't think of much else to check...I guess if above doesn't work I could try sending you my entire web.config, though I don't see any major differences.

-Tom

Dec 28, 2010 @ 23:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Louie

If you are running ASP.NET 4 you should probably add/modify the lines that Benjamin is posting about here in the post before the last one: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/15821-Installing-Umbraco-and-get-Runtime-error-instead-setup-page

/Jan

Dec 29, 2010 @ 03:38
    louie_nz

To Jan:

Hi Jan, I have checked my web.config file and noticed that my config file has the same settings as the one you recommanded:

<section name="clientDependency" type="ClientDependency.Core.Config.ClientDependencySection, ClientDependency.Core" requirePermission="false" />
        <section name="Examine" type="Examine.Config.ExamineSettings, Examine" requirePermission="false" />
        <section name="ExamineLuceneIndexSets" type="UmbracoExamine.Config.ExamineLuceneIndexes, UmbracoExamine" requirePermission="false" />

I am using umbraco 4.5.2 with .net 3.5. Do I have to use .net 4 here? I upgraded my umbraco site from 4.0.2.1 to 4.5.2. And at that time, I read someone successfully deployed umbraco 4.5.2 with .net 3.5 to a shared host (medium trust), so I tried to follow it. But now seems not working well in my case. Can you please advise? Thank you in advance.

Louie

Dec 29, 2010 @ 04:18
    louie_nz

To Tom

Glad to hear from you again. Yes.

- I downloaded umbraco 4.5.2 with .net 3.5 from codeplex, but I just download the normal one, not the webDeploy one. like the highlighted one below:

- But here I upgraded my old umbraco 4.0.2.1 to 4.5.2 .net 3.5;

- Then I replace the old web.config with the stock web.config, and changed it to

<!-- <trust level="Medium" originUrl=".*" />-->

- I still keep the LegacyXSLT format when upgarding.

- In Godaddy: I use IIS 7.0, and asp.net 2.0/3.0/3.5.

- For the write permission, the root folder has read and write permission, and the child folders all inherit it.e.g. 

I am really confused.

Can you please send me your web.config file? use my email address [email protected].

Cheers

Louie

Dec 29, 2010 @ 14:33
    Tom Fulton

Hi Louie,

I did some digging, it looks like the file you are getting the error on (ImageManipulation.dll) is not included in 4.5.  Actually it looks like it was removed in 4.0.3.  I would guess it's left over from an old install and probably isn't compatible with medium trust and probably not needed.  Can you try removing that file from /bin/ and see what happens?

Otherwise I will send my .config file :)

-Tom

Dec 29, 2010 @ 15:39
    louie_nz

Hi Tom

It's working now after I removed the imageManipulation.dll. You are right that it doesn't exist in umbraco 4.5.2. And I forgot to check it in 4.5....  As you know, I merged the dlls from both 4.0.2.1 and 4.5.2, that's why it was still there. I am not sure if any other old dlls would cause further problems later, but the site is working now. That's all I want at the moment. And this proves that Umbraco 4.5.x can go with GoDaddy even at a medium trust. Really appericated your help! Thank you soooooo much!!

Many thanks

Louie

Dec 29, 2010 @ 15:42
    Tom Fulton

Glad you got it working!  Just to throw another wrench in the mix, it looks like GoDaddy now supports .NET 4.0 if you have a "Windows Grid" hosting account (4.0 wasn't available at the time I deployed to GoDaddy)  ....in case you are feeling froggy :)

-Tom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft