Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Hamilton 6 posts 26 karma points
    Aug 17, 2010 @ 21:44
    Mike Hamilton

Nothing appearing in context menus after clean install!

Umbraco community,

I'm having trouble getting Umbraco installed on a web server. I've installed it several times before with NO problems, but this particular machine is really giving me trouble.

I can get through the web installer just fine. The database sets-up correctly, the wizard says my permissions are okay, everything appears to work fine.

But when I try to go to the back-office, there's NOTHING available! I can't create document types, there are no nodes in the tree in any of the sections, I literally can't do anything!

I've tried re-installing Umbraco at least 5 times hoping it will resolve the issue. No luck.

A bit about my environment:

• Windows Server 2003 (with .NET 4.0 installed)
    • Umbraco 4.5.1
    • SQL Server 2005
    I've tried searching the forums for a resolution to this issue. Some people have said that the correct permissions weren't applied. I have temporarily given Full Control to 'Everyone' in the root of the website. Someone else who had this problem got it fixed by giving permissions in C:\Windows\Temp to the IIS user. I did the same thing and it still didn't work.
    This is really frustrating, I'm trying to get this running on a machine for a client demonstration! (we're pitching Umbraco as the CMS platform for a client project. If I can't get it to work, then I'll have to use Sitefinicky...)
    -Mike
    P.S. Here's some screenshots of the "Developer" and "Settings" sections to see what I'm dealing with:

• JacoboPolavieja 62 posts 84 karma points
    Aug 17, 2010 @ 22:13
    JacoboPolavieja

The problem here is you being experienced at this... so I think it may not be a usual problem.

Just to discard some things... Has the user "IIS_IUSRS" got permissions to the folders? I've had some problems with it where the symptons were that Umbraco wouldn't display everything correctly.

If I'm not mistaken WebPI only goes as far as 4.1 or something like that, but no 4.5. How did you get 4.5 installed through WebPI?

Is DefaultAppPool set to ASP.NET v4.0 Classic?

Have you tried the aspnet_regiis.exe typical solution?

Hope you can get it up. Cheers!

Aug 17, 2010 @ 23:34
    Mike Hamilton

Thanks for your reply, Jacob!

Here's a bit more information for you:

I didn't install Umbraco through WebPI. I went right to CodePlex, downloaded the 4.5.1 binary, extracted the file to my IIS folder, and went straight to the web installer (Umbraco's web installer, not Microsoft's). So that's how I got 4.5.1 ;)

I looked for "IIS_IUSRS" to give them permissions on the root Umbraco folder, and the system couldn't find a user or a group called that. Could it be a 2003/2008 thing?

And as for the other suggestion, remember I'm on 2003, so I'm running like IIS 6. In my version of IIS, I don't have the option to set which mode (or even which .NET version) my App Pools use. I have that "ASP.NET" tab in the Properties pane of IIS that lets me specify which IIS version I want my site to use. Back on the "Home Directory" tab is where I choose the App Pool. It's a bit different than Server 2008. See this screenshot:

• JacoboPolavieja 62 posts 84 karma points
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 00:15
    JacoboPolavieja

Hi Mike!

Sorry about that, I totally overlooked the Win2003 thing and completely misunderstood how you got 4.5.1 up! I'm a total mess...

Anyway, and just for trying something different really... did you run the aspnet_regiis.exe? It did fix one site of mine that was displaying weirdly some time ago... the strange thing here is that you went through the installation apparently normal. Anyway all I have managed is IIS 7.x so I'm not aware of all the changes from version 6.

Did the installation looked completely normal or was it displayed with items not centered?

Another thing may be that it isn't being able to retrieve the nodes from the database... but if there was any problem connecting to the database I assume you couldn't even log in and wouldn't have been able to install it. Did you change anything on the database after installing?

You could also have a look at SQL Server logs and see if it is denying any retrieval from the host and why?

Another thing... when you try to browse a tree... does the little gray square below the "folder" appear and then disappear?

This is pretty strange as if it was a problem with the database you shouldn't have been able to install and (I think, I'm not so sure) you wouldn't be able to log in. If it is really a problem displaying things doesn't seem to be a normal one.

Good luck!

Aug 20, 2010 @ 18:10
    Mike Hamilton

Jacob,

Sorry for the delay, I've been working on other stuff the past few days. Anyhow, I have an update for you: I got it to work! The aspnet_regiis STILL didn't solve my problem though :(

What I did was:

• Installed the current Umbraco from WebPI (you put the idea in my head)
    • Verified that it was working correctly
    • Downloaded Umbraco 4.5.1 for .NET 3.5 from CodePlex, copied all the files into my 4.0.2 WebPI installation
    • Re-ran the Umbraco web setup, and it all now works!
    There were some additional components that the WebPI downloaded and installed on my machine, so maybe my web server was just missing some stuff.
    I'm just glad I finally got it up and running.
    thanks for your help,
    -Mike

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft