Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tizer 170 posts 201 karma points
    Jul 28, 2010 @ 08:40
    Tizer

Can't Create anything :(

OK - I just followed this guide to setting permissions on iis http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-4-on-windows-vista/configure-iis-website ; (I used the configure IIS website, Set File Permissions) - (I tried the "Use the Classic Application Pool " instructions, but my website url was actually available as a Application Pool!!!)

The site works, so I go to login to umbraco and do some editing - all is good, I can edit content nodes, templates, document types, users... everything.

But I cannot Create anything at all :(

I looked in the log and found this:

Error indexing node: (System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\domain.com.au\data\_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete\_4bm.fnm'.  File name: 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\domain.com.au\data\_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete\_4bm.fnm'     at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)     at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)     at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)     at Lucene.Net.Store.FSIndexInput.Descriptor..ctor(FSIndexInput enclosingInstance, FileInfo file, FileAccess mode)     at Lucene.Net.Store.FSIndexInput..ctor(FileInfo path)     at Lucene.Net.Store.FSDirectory.OpenInput(String name)     at Lucene.Net.Index.FieldInfos..ctor(Directory d, String name)     at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Initialize(SegmentInfo si)     at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Get(Directory dir, SegmentInfo si, SegmentInfos sis, Boolean closeDir, Boolean ownDir)     at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.MergeSegments(Int32 minSegment, Int32 end)     at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.Optimize()     at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.index.Indexer.IndexNode(Guid ObjectType, Int32 Id, String Text, String UserName, DateTime CreateDate, Hashtable Fields, Boolean Optimize))

But the files are there and I just checked and Network Service has full permissions?

What have I done wrong?

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Jul 28, 2010 @ 13:30
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Tye,

which version of Umbraco are you using? If you are using IIS7 with integrated pipeline mode (click on the application pool you are using, click on basic settings, you should get a popup that tells you the framework version and the pipeline mode) you will need to give the application pool 'user' permissions instead of the Network Service. The application pool 'user' is 'IIS AppPool\[you-application-pool-name]'. Also make sure that the IUSR_[Your-Server-Name] has at least read permissions.

Hope that helps,

Sascha

Jul 28, 2010 @ 14:56
    Tizer

Thanks Sascha...

I am using umbraco 4.0.4.1

I am using IIS7 wtih integrated pipeline mode with .NET framework v2.0.50727.

The application pool the website is using is called "appPool2a" - but when I add the application pool user permissions, using 'IIS AppPool\appPool2a' I get the error:

An object named "IIS AppPool\appPool2a'" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection.

IUSR_serv name has the correct permissios.

Jul 28, 2010 @ 15:50
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Tye,

that's a bit odd to be honest. Can you please take a look at your application pool, but this time click on Advanced Settings... There should be an entry for 'Identity' under Process Model, is this set to ApplicationPoolIdentity?

Ah, just read this article, apparently under IIS7 the standard is Network Service and not ApplicationPoolIdentity. If this is the case on your server then it will obviously suffice if you give Network Service the necessary permissions.

Have you tried re-indexing your nodes by going to /umbraco/reindex.aspx as the files the system can't find are the ones used by the Lucene engine?

Sascha

Jul 29, 2010 @ 00:08
    Tizer

I've been running /umbraco/reindex.aspx for around 45 mins now and its been like this since:

__ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Re-index in progress

0 of Not calculated yet documents indexed. Currently indexing ''

Refresh

Close Window

__ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A quick search on the forum mentions a Permissions Error - now I didn't set this site up, but Physical path is:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\domain.com.au\subdirectory

Is that normal?

Apologies for silly questions... I have never really got into the setup of a server before and just wondered it that would effect permissions

Jul 29, 2010 @ 00:12
    Tizer

Application Pool Identity is set to NetworkService

Jul 29, 2010 @ 12:22
    Tizer

Right - well now I've totally stufed :(

All the permissions were correct - but it still didn't work, so I tired changing the application pool to Classic .NET - but that didn't work, so I changed it back to the original, and now I get this error :

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 104: <assemblies>
    Line 105: <!-- ASPNETAJAX -->
    Line 106: <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    Line 107: <add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
    Line 108: <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions.Design, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

I have to be totally honest and say I am totally out of my depth here.... what is missing and where do I look?

Jul 29, 2010 @ 15:41
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Tye,

I am really sorry that you have so much trouble with your system, usually it's a breeze and done in 5 minutes (I know, that doesn't help you, so again sorry!).

The System.Web.Extensions dll is the AJAX stuff, so it seems that the dlls are not properly sitting in your GAC anymore. Reinstalling AJAX should hopefully fix this problem. If not then you can easily copy the 'System.Web.Extensions' and 'System.Web.Extensions.Design' dlls manually in your /bin folder of the Umbraco installation and it will work as well.

Hope that helps with this problem and hopefully you are so lucky that the previous issue has been magically resolved with that as well.

Sascha

Jul 29, 2010 @ 17:02
    Tizer

Hey Sascha - I've moved around 10 umbraco sites to different servers and its been easy - its just this install :(

I have since found that I need this included in the web.config - found on the old umbraco forum

<!-- added by petr snobelt - fix for .net 3.5 -->
      <runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
        </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime>

If I don't include it, the site doesn't work at all.

If I do included it, the public side works, the admin area does not.

I am the first to admit I have no  clue about deploying sites on iiS using RDS, normally I use dotnetpanel or helm... that is probably the problem.

I do't feel safe installing, or reinstalling new items on a server which is running 30 other websites

But where would I find the 'System.Web.Extensions' and 'System.Web.Extensions.Design' dlls to copy? Are they on the server already and all I have to do is copy them to the /bin folder of umbraco?

Jul 29, 2010 @ 17:05
    Tizer

Seems wierd as I am using .NET 2.0 :(

Jul 30, 2010 @ 10:16
    Tizer

OK - this was a permissions issue and is fixed now.

Thanks for the help Sascha

Jul 30, 2010 @ 10:32
    Sascha Wolter

Wonderful, glad to hear you could fix this! :)

• Kesava 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 27, 2013 @ 17:21
    Kesava

Hi Tizer,

I am facing the same problem, can you plese tell me what is the permision issue and how did you fix that? so that I can try the same solution and check if that fixes my issue. :)

Feb 27, 2013 @ 23:44
    Tizer

Hi Kesava - I can't remember the exact files effected, but I followed this umbraco permissions guide and found some were incorrect.... from memory I also was missing a custom dll which hadn't uploaded

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft