Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Kibsgård 62 posts 73 karma points
    Jul 16, 2010 @ 00:40
    Simon Kibsgård

Can't generate the new umbraco.config xml after upgrading

Hi

I seem to have successfully upgraded from 4.0.3 to 4.5

Only thing, is that when I publish I get the old legacy XML, instead of the new optimized one. If I have the setting <UseLegacyXmlSchema>false</UseLegacyXmlSchema> in umbracoSettings.config I still get the old xml with <node>'s.

With <UseLegacyXmlSchema>true</UseLegacyXmlSchema> everything works fine. But I want to try out the new thing.

Anyone with an idea of what I've missed? - I followed the upgrade guide from the 4.1 release, as I couldn't find one for 4.5.

Thanks!

/Simon K

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 16, 2010 @ 10:16
    Ismail Mayat

Simon,

After changing legacy xml setting try touching the web.config see if that fixes the issue.

Regards

Ismail

Jul 16, 2010 @ 22:55
    Simon Kibsgård

Hi Ismail

That did it! Thanks a lot. I tought a rebuild of my project would be enough. -> And now to some XSLT refactoring :-)

Jul 16, 2010 @ 23:21
    Simon Kibsgård

Now this is really weird.

It actually didn't quite fix my problem. It seems like everytime I publish, republish or manually delete my umbraco.config, to have a new one build up, only some of my xml is created in the new scheme. Other nodes are in the old scheme, so I have <TextPage... and <node... living together in the same xml.

Any idea how that is possible?

Jul 17, 2010 @ 21:18
    Simon Kibsgård

anyone?

Jul 19, 2010 @ 09:53
    Ismail Mayat

Simon,

Is your site in its own app pool and are all the permissions correct?

Regards

Ismail

Jul 19, 2010 @ 11:19
    Simon Kibsgård

Hi Ismail

The solution is running on my localhost (XP IIS 6, so only one website at a time). I changed it from running "Medium (pooled)" application security to "High (Isolated)". Also I overwrote all of my folder permissions to give ASPNET full control. This seems to have done the trick

I would normally have done one change at a time, so I could have decided if just one of them did the trick. Unfortunately I didn't here, but I'm pretty sure it was the application security setting, that did it, as I think I had the permissions correct on beforehand. 

Any idea, why this happens? Is my publishing process being interrupted, because it doesn't get enough resources when publishing, and why does this result in "old" xml scheme?

Thanks a lot Ismail!

Jul 19, 2010 @ 11:26
    Ismail Mayat

Simon,

Do idea but i have seen publishing issues where stuff seems to be published but doesnt when permissions are not correct. I have been caught out before where i have assigned permissions but not propogated down.  I have found through experience with things not publishing or css/ xslt not saving or timeouts and yellow screen of death to be either incorrect permissions or site not in own app pool.  In your case as its iis on xp app pool will not be issue.

Glad to have helped.

Regards

Ismail

Jul 19, 2010 @ 12:37
    Simon Kibsgård

Thanks Ismail!

I'd thrown you some High Fives, if I had only had the karma to do it :-) (umbraco forum understood)

• AntonioMX 58 posts 57 karma points
    Sep 06, 2010 @ 23:00
    AntonioMX

I am having similiar problems, I just used XSLTUpdater and I set UseLegacyXMLSchema to false but nothing seems to work. I then changed the setting back to true and everything works fine even if the converted XSLT file is being used. Please help!

• Daniel Burge 11 posts 31 karma points
    Sep 10, 2010 @ 05:50
    Daniel Burge

Hi,

I am also  having this problem after upgrading from 4.0 to 4.5.2.

Even though I have this line in umbracoSettings.config

<UseLegacyXmlSchema>false</UseLegacyXmlSchema>

The umbraco.config file is still being generated using the old schema.

I can restart the web server, touch the web.config, delete umbraco.config, and nothing works.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Daniel

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Dec 06, 2010 @ 12:44
    Rob Watkins

I am having this on a couple of sites, and I can't track it down at all; like Daniel, restarting, touch web.config, delete umbraco.config and republish - nothing works. Any ideas?

• Daniel Burge 11 posts 31 karma points
    Dec 06, 2010 @ 18:17
    Daniel Burge

I ended up having to rebuild the site in the new version rather than upgrading it. Luckily it was a smaller site and the only one I needed to upgrade. There probably is a solution for the problem, I just couldn't find it and it was just quicker to rebuild it.

Thanks,

Daniel

Dec 07, 2010 @ 10:34
    Rob Watkins

It's looking that way for me, too, although first I'm going to try an upgrade to 4.5.2 on a mirror :o(

• Martin van de Hoef 5 posts 26 karma points
    Feb 22, 2011 @ 16:36
    Martin van de Hoef

You have to publis the top level nodes in the content tree (including childnodes). Not the 'republish entire site' option, but the 'publish' option on the nodes on level below the root.

And after that, you have to republish the entire site...

See: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/xslt/45-xml-schema/switching-between-old-and-new-schema

Jun 01, 2011 @ 13:13
    Rob Watkins

@Martin van de Hoef : Oh my God, you have saved me from an early grave. That did the trick!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft