Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin Farrow 46 posts 67 karma points
    Jun 23, 2010 @ 18:20
    Kevin Farrow

Alternative blogging package to Blog4Umbraco?

Is there an alternative blogging package to Blog4Umbraco?

I have tried installing the Blog4Umbraco on 2 customer's sites (4.0.1) and even tried installing new clean/empty copies of Umbraco (4.0.2 & 4.0.3) but I get the following message:

"To activate the blog post creator, you need to have access to at least one blog"

The blog exists in the content tree and I can view the blog but there's not much point without the customer being able to to view comments and manage the blog itself. Looking through the forums there seems to be a number of threads (going back months) from people with the same problem and the general outcome seems to be the same - there is no (simple) fix.

Not wanting to complain, without trying to help fix it, I've tried downloading the source code and have managed to partially get it working... now I get the error:

Could not load control '/usercontrols/Blog4Umbraco/CreatePost.ascx'.
    Error message: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.Node.GetCurrent() at umbraco.editorControls.tags.DataEditor.OnInit(EventArgs e) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\components\editorControls\tags\DataEditor.cs:line 205 at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) at Umlaut.Umb.Blog.Dashboard.CreatePost.OnInit(EventArgs e) in C:\Visual Studio 2010\Umbraco\Blog4Umbraco\Umlaut.Umb.Blog\Dashboard\CreatePost.ascx.cs:line 82 at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) at umbraco.cms.presentation.dashboard.OnInit(EventArgs e)

Umbraco is an excellent CMS and we have implement many sites using it but unfortunately, the very nature of Open Source means that you can't really complain as you haven't paid for it; so maybe it would be better if there was a nominal charge for these packages? Anyone want to sell me a blogging package?

Regards,
    Kevin

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jun 25, 2010 @ 02:33
    Chris Dunn

Sorry don't have a blog package to sell you but I've found b4umbraco to be pretty good. 

The "To activate the blog post creator, you need to have access to at least one blog" issue was resolved in april on codeplex but I think the "packaged" version is 2.2.26.  Download the latest code from codeplex which should be 2.0.29 and it should work.  You just need to drop the new dll in the bin folder after you compile the project.

-Chris

Jun 25, 2010 @ 12:08
    Kevin Farrow

Thanks Chris but that is what I have already done and now have the following error at the bottom of the Dashboard page:

Could not load control '/usercontrols/Blog4Umbraco/CreatePost.ascx'.
    Error message: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.Node.GetCurrent() at umbraco.editorControls.tags.DataEditor.OnInit(EventArgs e) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\components\editorControls\tags\DataEditor.cs:line 205 at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) at Umlaut.Umb.Blog.Dashboard.CreatePost.OnInit(EventArgs e) in C:\Visual Studio 2010\Umbraco\Blog4Umbraco\Umlaut.Umb.Blog\Dashboard\CreatePost.ascx.cs:line 82 at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) at umbraco.cms.presentation.dashboard.OnInit(EventArgs e)

• Tom 713 posts 954 karma points
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 00:48
    Tom

I'm getting exactly the same error.. just wondering if anyone had found a resolution..

Cheers,

Tom

Nov 30, 2010 @ 01:36
    Kevin Farrow

Hey Tom,

Nothing has changed since I wrote the original post. Infact I tried the latest version with the updated XSLT for 4.5.2 and found that some of the XSLT also had the older way of coding e.g. data [@alias='description' etc. and ended up in trouble with a customer so gave up and have used Wordpress and BlogEngine.Net since.

As I've said before, Umbraco is an excellent system but you have to remember that unfortunately you get what you pay for with Open Source :-)

• Tom 713 posts 954 karma points
    Nov 30, 2010 @ 01:42
    Tom

Hi Kevin,

thanks so much for letting me know.. I'll keep persisting for now and see how i go it's just a little tricky when the client wants something that can be content managed and run all in the one place! ie they wouldn't want to have to log in to wordpress etc to post.. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft