Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stefan 117 posts 215 karma points
    Sep 16, 2013 @ 23:38
    Stefan

Sort nodes properly (not like 1, 10, 2, 3, 33, 4 etc)

I'm using the great greystate XSLT helper (paginationhelper) (from a branch that allows for sorting), but I just noticed that the nodes are not sorted properly. I don't know if this is just how xslt behaves, or if its a bug in the helper.

As far as I remember I have not made any changes that could have impacted this functionality (or if it ever has worked as expected...).

This is the order of which I expect the nodes to appear: Text-10 Text-15 Text-25 ...

And this is the order of which they are rendered: Text-10 Text-100 Text-125 Text-15 Text-150 Text-200 Text-25 ... and you get the point.

This is how the pagination template is called:

<xsl:call-template name="PaginateSelection">
        <xsl:with-param name="selection" select="$paginationSelection" />
        <xsl:with-param name="sortBy" select="'@nodeName ASC'" />
        <xsl:with-param name="showPager" select="false()" />
        <xsl:with-param name="perPage" select="$PerPage" />
        <xsl:with-param name="pageLinksBeside" select="$PageLinksBeside" />
    </xsl:call-template>

Please let me know if you want a copy of the XML. But it should not be necessary since I'm just sorting on the @nodeName attribute.

Thanks.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 01:10
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Stefan,

Yeah that's a little tricky - and let me just explain why: XSLT can sort either as text or number - your nodes will need to sort in two steps, first by the part before the dash, as text; then by the part after the dash, as number. So with a normal apply-templates or for-each, you'd do something like this:

<xsl:for-each select="$nodes">
        <xsl:sort select="substring-before(@nodeName, '-')" data-type="text" order="ascending" />
        <xsl:sort select="substring-after(@nodeName, '-')" data-type="number" order="ascending" />
        <!-- ... -->
    </xsl:for-each>

The way I've implemented sorting in the helper is limited to full properties/attributes, and only a single sort is supported. So basically, we'll need to customize your helper file to accomplish this, or...

The way I'd recommend would be to use the word $CUSTOM (or similar) in the sortBy parameter to trigger this, and then branch off in the preSort template and do the two sort statements - that way, you'll still have all the other features of the helper available.

I'll try a few things and might push a solution for this soon, provided I can get it working reasonably quick...

I've added a feature-request here: https://github.com/greystate/Greystate-XSLT-Helpers/issues/18

/Chriztian

Sep 17, 2013 @ 08:41
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Update: There's a new version of Pagination Helper available here that implements this — see the section in the README about how it works.

/Chriztian

• Stefan 117 posts 215 karma points
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 19:25
    Stefan

Thank you very much for your nice explanation - and even more for the implementation! That was not something I would have expected ;)

But I'm sure that I'm not the only one finding the new extension useful.

Sep 17, 2013 @ 21:17
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Stefan,

You're welcome - I've wanted to implement more advanced sorting for a while, but didn't really have any use cases or ideas as to how to do it — but describing the problem for you, trying to keep changes to the existing helper to a minimum, suddenly made me realize how to actually do it, so thanks for that, I guess :-)

/Chriztian

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft