Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nikolas van Etten 202 posts 162 karma points
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 11:24
    Nikolas van Etten

Creating XmlDocument in XSLT (using inline C#)

I need to pull some data from an external site and I'm doing so by using the HTML Agility Pack. The data itself is a JSON which is basically just a small part of a large javascript inside the html page. What I want to do is convert the JSON to XML in order to use it more easily within the XSLT file, and I found that Json.NET should do the trick, but as it needs to create the XML as a "real" XmlDocument it causes the XSLT validator to return the following error:

System.InvalidOperationException: This document already has a 'DocumentElement' node.

Basically I only need the JSON string converted to an XML string, as I can afterwards easily convert it to a node-set. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

• Asif Malik 203 posts 339 karma points
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 14:26
    Asif Malik

You may want to look into creating an XSLT extension, which takes the JSON url as a paramter and returns XML.

Mar 04, 2012 @ 16:49
    Nikolas van Etten

Kinda hoping to avoid that as it's a quite cachable thing and I didn't want to spend more time than needed. But yes, I know that will be an option which should work.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Mar 04, 2012 @ 17:08
    Jeroen Breuer

Not sure if Razor is an option, but you can use the full power of C# in there. Would be easier :).

Jeroen

Mar 04, 2012 @ 20:52
    Nikolas van Etten

My mistake! ;) Turns out the Json itself was the problem and that I just assumed the error was thrown due to the code being inside the XSLT file. So much for working late hours during the weekend... ;)

Thanks for all help anyway! And yes...Razor it is...next time! ;)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft