Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Georges 11 posts 32 karma points
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 23:50
    Georges

One node, multiple genrated URL for mutiple langages

Hi, 

We've got a multi-language website setup, where every NODE has one tab for every language and contains every field that needs translation. Everything works fine except when it comed to URLs. 

We tried to use the umbracoURL Alias, but the issue is that it requires the Complete URL, for example /news/newWebsite, insted of NewWebsite only.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to call the Default URL genration fonction used in Umbraco to genrate the various URL for the different langages ? Or If I'm I looking in the wrong direction, what would be the best practice for that issue ?

Cheers. 

UMBRACO ROCKS !

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 18:21
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Georges,

When it comes to running a site with multiple languages, it should instead be: running Umbraco with multiple sites for multiple languages. Meaning that the structure should be like:

• - Content (top node)
    • - My site (UK)
    • - Min side (DK)
    And then set up domains for each of the sites like: uk.mydomain.com and dk.mydomain.com - this can be set up in Umbraco. 
    This separates your content by the given language which will make it easier to add content, copy it and translate it to the language you want. There is a four part video series about running multiple sites within Umbraco on umbraco.tv if you have a subscription. If you haven't I can only recommend you to sign up for one :-) There's some high quality stuff going on there! The video series starts here:
    Running mulitple sites

I know this is not exactly what you wanted, but I think restructuring your site(s) will make it easier for you in the long run :-)
    All the best,
    Bo

• Georges 11 posts 32 karma points
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 18:42
    Georges

Hi Bo,

I've been on the Umbraco TV. Thx for the response.

I knew about the recommended structure for Umbraco. But in this project case, we've got more information that is language and culture independent, so I wanted to avoid having to duplicate the entries.

When looking around, I think we've found our way out. Let me know what you think... 

1. We defined a URL Rewriting rule as follow : virtualUrl="^(.*)/([0-9]*)-(.*)" and destinationUrl="~/$2"

2. when genrating the URL we'll always include the NODE ID for the rewriting to work, and the associated text within the URL will be irrelevant and in respect to the langage dependent fields.

In addtion, the URL rewriting rule has no string hardocded, so any new section, or page will always work, as long as it contains the REGEX pattern with the node id.

We haven't implemented it yet, and you can check the website at the following URL : OFFLINE  (it's our developpement server, the url wil not always be valid).

Thanks again. 

Georges.

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 21:38
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Georges,

Alright - I'm afraid that is a bit out of my zone of knowledge then ;-) So you simply make sure that an URL matches the RegEx pattern and then pass the node ID with it to be able to read the correct data depending on the language selected by the end user?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft