Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• UmbracoNovice 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 18:49
    UmbracoNovice

Razor scripts vs User Controls

I like a lot using Razor and .cshtml files but I'm wondering if there are cases where I can't accomplish a task with it and need to switch to .NET user control?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 18:52
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Razor is HTML mixed with a bit of C#. As far as I know you can not render any usercontrols directly in a Razor file. So if you want to do a form and expect to use ASP.NET webforms controls then you cannot do it in Razor (so that's: no updatepanel, repeaters, etc.).

• Anthony pj 40 posts 63 karma points
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 18:55
    Anthony pj

bit of a open ended question , I think you will get a better response from the community if you try and ask something more specific question. Members are usually more then happy to help where they can, great advantage for us newbies.

o just read response you got... seems i missed the point of the question lol i thought you were asking if there are cases where you should use a usercontrol over a approach using razor ? o well

Nov 17, 2011 @ 18:57
    UmbracoNovice

Sorry for the confusion but I meant in what cases do I have to use Macro with .NET User Control vs Macro with Razor script file?  So basically I want to find out what can't be accomplished by Razor's Macro e.g. Form submit. Form validation, Pagination, Ajax, Sorting etc.

Nov 17, 2011 @ 19:04
    Sebastiaan Janssen

They can all be accomplished with a Razor macro, but not through webforms controls. So you will mostly be implementing these things in pure html and javascript.

Nov 17, 2011 @ 19:57
    UmbracoNovice

I guess Pagination and Sorting can be done through the query string so no javascript would be needed.

I'm wondering if it's possible to show/hide Macros from a master page event and maybe event set some Macro parameters or variables?

Nov 17, 2011 @ 20:05
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You can send parameters into a Razor macro for sure. But I'm not sure what you mean, maybe you can give a specific example of what you're trying to achieve?

Nov 17, 2011 @ 20:39
    UmbracoNovice

For example I have a form and show macro with  the input fields initially and hide 'thank you' macro. On the form submit I validate the data and if it's valid hide the 'fields' macro and show 'thank you' macro. Or I can send a parameter to macro to switch the divs to display...

Nov 17, 2011 @ 21:25
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Well yes, if you want an interesting example of that, do check out my Contact Form for Razor package.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 21:25
    Dan Diplo

Yeah, you can do all that in Razor. Sounds like you want to check out Seb's Razor Contact Form project :)

Nov 17, 2011 @ 21:31
    Sebastiaan Janssen

lol @ same post Dan! ;-) Thanks for the plug!

Nov 17, 2011 @ 21:39
    UmbracoNovice

Thank you, guys. Will definitely take a look at the project.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 21:40
    Dan Diplo

I think in this instance you can take all the credit :)

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 13:51
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. In my opinion using razor should be prefered over user controls looking forward to U-5 where razor is going to become a mainstream tool of creating UI. And my other point (that's however just a matter of personal taste) is that why I like umbraco - it's a high level of control over the HTML generated. When you implement something as a user control in umbraco you always lose this control over rendering to some amount, since you have to fallback to the web-form page model with a viewstate etc.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft