Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    May 19, 2010 @ 17:02
    Warren Buckley

Umbraco member login form with /base and encrypting password with JS

Hello all,
    I am trying to create a HTML login form for members on my website using a standard <form> and the rest interface in umbraco /Base

Currently I have a form with two fields:

• Username
    • Password

Currently the username and password are posted in the form and security wise I don't feel that comfortable with that.

So I am currently trying to encrpyt the password in the same format as the umraco member password expects using JavaScript before we post it over /Base

However I am currently trying to struggle to do this.

I have found this JavaScript library to help me but I can't get it in the expected format
    http://code.google.com/p/crypto-js/#HMAC-SHA1

I have the an XSLT Extension that encrpyts the password in the same format as Umbraco and works fine:

public static string encodePassword(string password)
    {
    //Encode password using same logic/encryption that umbraco stores passwords in DB
    HMACSHA1 hash = new HMACSHA1();
    hash.Key = Encoding.Unicode.GetBytes(password);

return Convert.ToBase64String(hash.ComputeHash(Encoding.Unicode.GetBytes(password)));           
    }

But trying to replicate this with the Javascript Library CryptoJS I just can't do, can anyone help me please?

// value from form field (im using jQuery here)
    var passwordVal = $("#password").val();

var PassHMACSHA1 = Crypto.HMAC(Crypto.SHA1, passwordVal, passwordVal, { asBytes: true });
    encryptedPass = Crypto.util.bytesToBase64(PassHMACSHA1);

//DEBUG
    alert(encryptedPass);

For anyone asking why I would want to do this, it's because I am creating an iPhone web application using the jQTouch library and it must use AJAX hence /Base
    http://www.jqtouch.com

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me please about encrpyting the password.

Thanks,
    Warren

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    May 19, 2010 @ 17:18
    Chris Houston

Hi Warren,

Might be an obvious question but instead of asking the iPhone / browser to do the encryption in script why not just add an SSL certificate on your ( or your clients ) server then any data sent to and forth can be encrypted.

Best regards,

Chris

• Kris Dyson 54 posts 79 karma points
    May 19, 2010 @ 17:19
    Kris Dyson

Hi Warren, why don't you feel comfortable posting the password across the network? When people login the password will go over the network anyway.

Why not just post the raw password to base and then have asp.net encrypt the password? 

Kris

May 19, 2010 @ 17:19
    Warren Buckley

Hiya Chris,
    Yeh unfortunately this is a small project and a SSL certificate cant be justified.

Cheers for the idea though.

Warren

May 19, 2010 @ 17:28
    Warren Buckley

Kris,
    Doesn't the asp.net login control do some form of encrpytion when doing a logon?

Sending the password in clear text over a form post doesnt feel too safe, but yes the quickest way would be to send the password as it is and then do the encrpytion in the /base class.

However I just don't feel comfortable with that.

Warren

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 19, 2010 @ 17:30
    Morten Bock

Well, there is a hole in your logic here, I think.

If you are sending the encrypted password via ajax, it is still sniffable. And if your ajax method signs you in based on that encrypted password, then I can still abuse you /base method, because it will actually sign me in even if I don't know the original password.

Or am I missing the point?

May 19, 2010 @ 17:36
    Warren Buckley

Hey Morten,
    Yeh the encrypted password will still be sniffable but proivdes better security than just un-encrypted.

Here is my base method Morten:

public static string login()
    {
    //Get the posted data
    HttpRequest post = HttpContext.Current.Request;

//Get username and password from form posted data
    string username = post["username"];
    string password = post["password"];

Member logonMember = Member.GetMemberFromLoginName(username);

if (logonMember == null)
    {
    return "Error: Did not find member";
    }
    else
    {
    //User exists - check password
    if (password == logonMember.Password)
    {
    return "Success";
    }
    else
    {
    return "Error: Username and password do not match. Form pass: " + password + " memb obj pass: " + logonMember.Password;
    }
    }

Morten or anyone else, if you can recommend an alternative solution to login in a member using just a <form> or AJAX I would like to hear from you.

Warren

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 19, 2010 @ 17:38
    Lee Kelleher

(Small bit of background, I've been trying to help Warren with this off-forum, we've been bashing our heads with this for hours ... and just found the solution, here goes)

The problem with using the Crypto-JS library is that it encodes the characters using UTF-8, but when Umbraco encodes the password (via it's own Membership Provider), it uses UTF-16 ... so there's a mis-match between encodings - I don't "completely" understand it, but just know that it's "not the same".  So with that in mind, we tried out Paj's JavaScript MD5 script, (it also does HMAC SHA1, in the 'sha1.js'):

http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5/index.html

Like Crypto-JS, all the native functions use UTF-8, but there are extra functions in there to handle UTF-16, so used the following snippet:

function b64_hmac_sha1_utf16(key, data) {
        return rstr2b64(rstr_hmac_sha1(str2rstr_utf16le(key), str2rstr_utf16le(data)));
    }

Then we found another problem... that the base64 string wasn't being padded (with equals symbol =), but that was a quick fix.  At the top of the 'sha1.js' script, you can set the value of 'b64pad'.

var b64pad  = "=";

Now we get the correct Base64 encoded string of the HMAC SHA-1 hashed password... (jeez that's a mouthful!)

Right, time for a cuppa!

Cheers, Lee.

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    May 19, 2010 @ 17:54
    Chris Houston

Well done Lee / Warren :)

I agree with Morten that without using SSL you are still passing the data insecurely, so if someone was to go to the effort of sniffing the data being passed to your server then with the encrypted data you are passing across ( in an un-encrypted form ) they can fake the login.

Maybe a way around this would be to pass a key from your server and then add this to the data that is encrypted and in your web service decrypt the data and remove the key element.

Just a thought :)

Even that would be crackable if they were determined and by the time you did implement all of this, it would have been cheaper to have bought a SSL certificate. If your client is so worried about security for the user logging in due to the possibility of the data being sniffed, what about all the data that is sniff-able once the user is logged in, if you are not using SSL everything can still be sniffed ( in theory ).

Cheers,

Chris

• Kris Dyson 54 posts 79 karma points
    May 19, 2010 @ 18:28
    Kris Dyson

Hi Warren, the ASP.NET Membership provider will hash/encrypt the password (on the server side).  The login control still sends the password back to the server unsecurely unless you secure the entire transmission with SSL. 

You probably need to identify exactly what the security risk is that you're trying to address.  If it's network "sniffing", even if you encrypt the password in JS on registration, the user will still need to send the password back to the server on logon...  so the sniffer will get the password on logon instead.

However if you encrypt the password on the client side on login and registration, then you're still sending a payload which represents the password back to the server.  The sniffer would just re-send you're encrypted payload.

Try using Fiddler and logging in to some of your favourite websites and see your password sent in plain text :-)

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 19, 2010 @ 19:31
    Lee Kelleher

I agree with the packet sniffing/security aspect... SSL is the way to go!  I was specifically helping out with the client-side HMACSHA1 encryption.

I have tackled this same situation for another client, we issued an authentication token from the server (a hash based on session id, client IP address and a pinch of salt), which would be passed back to verify the login ... it's probably got it's own flaws, but it served its purpose.

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft