This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Currey 7 posts 37 karma points
    Apr 08, 2010 @ 11:23
    Robert Currey

Mail Engine from Nibble

Hello

Used Tim Geyssen's very good mail package

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/codegarden-2009/open-space-minutes/newsletters

However had problems with it timing out. I took a look at the source code and made the loop that emails each member run in a background process.

Here is a patch of my changes against the source at http://www.nibble.be/temp/MailEngine.zip

http://www.welovetheweb.com/documents/MailEnginePatch.zip

eg

cd MailEngine
    patch -p1 < ..\MailEngine.patch

Robert

• Paul Sørensen 304 posts 650 karma points
    Apr 21, 2010 @ 20:06
    Paul Sørensen

Hi Robert

Is patch a program or ..

Is it possible that you can upload the final source instead?

Paul S

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Apr 21, 2010 @ 22:17
    Paul Blair

Hi Robert,

I've nearly finished creating newletter functionality based on Tim's MailEngine. The other area that I could improve, as I was not merging member data into the newsletter, was to call the RenderTemplate once before sending the emails rather than calling it for each member.

Another thought I have had is to add all the recipients emails to the BCC field so only one email is sent. II'm not sure if this would increase the chances of the email being treated as Spam though.

Cheers

Paul

May 13, 2010 @ 10:27
    Robert Currey

Hi

to install the patch you will need a version of gnu patch (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm for windows)

Download nibble's zip and unzip. In a command window cd to the folder and run the command

patch -p1 < ..\MailEngine.patch

You will have a patched source which you will need to compile and copy the dlls and control files to your umbraco installation.

I'd rather not produce a ready patched version without Tim's permission.

Cheers

Robert

May 13, 2010 @ 10:35
    Robert Currey

Hi Paul,

I had to do quite a dance with the RenderTemplate to get it to work in a thread without access to HttpContext.

I would guess you'd have a problem with a lot of recipients on the bcc field; it would depend on your smtp server.

BTW for a less invasive improvement there is a "sleep" in Tims original loop that if you take out increases the number of recipients you can send before hitting the time out.

Regards

Robert

• Aron 12 posts 43 karma points
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 15:23
    Aron

Robert

I'm having trouble applying the patch - the command window just goes blank and seems to hang. Should i just wait or is the patch applied instantly?

I know someone also fixed the UTF-8 encoding issue (was this you?) - i'm having the same problem and would love to know how to fix it.

Cheers

Aron

• Remove This Profile Please 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 12, 2010 @ 00:37
    Remove This Profile Please

Quote: I know someone also fixed the UTF-8 encoding issue (was this you?) - i'm having the same problem and would love to know how to fix it.

Anyone?

• Djan Blom 99 posts 161 karma points
    Apr 26, 2011 @ 08:59
    Djan Blom

Was this fixed in any matter? *bump*

• Martin Lingstuyl 202 posts 379 karma points
    Aug 11, 2011 @ 14:38
    Martin Lingstuyl

Hi guys,

One piece of code for future reference and one question.

The way I solved the UTF-8 question was adding this to the buildMail method in the Helper Class. (you should use / recompile the source afterwards)

message.BodyEncoding = System.Text.Encoding.UTF8;
    message.Headers.Add("Content-Type", "content=text/html; charset=\"UTF-8\"");

One question of my own. Anyone having experience with adding the emailaddresses in BCC? I really want to know. I could change the number of emails being send. We could also loop through the members and send a number of emails each containing a finite number of BCC's. So for example send 40 members per mail.

Hope to hear from you guys.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft