Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Dingley 1471 posts 3428 karma points c-trib
    Jan 06, 2010 @ 10:48
    Simon Dingley

Could not find file 'C:\Inetpub\*\_3g4.fnm' - Missing File for Lucene Index

I have a custom Lucene index running on site that contains membership data and since the site owner updated some of the data in the index they keep getting exceptions about a missing file _3g4.fnm. This happens quite regularly and I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on why this might be as I am no Lucene expert?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 06, 2010 @ 11:03
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yeah, I have the same problem. This can be fixed by doing a reindex (http://yoursite.ext/umbraco/reindex.aspx).

Problem is that it soon starts all over again and you keep having to reindex. How many nodes do you have in your site? I've noticed that it is faster to fail when there are many nodes (but this is anecdotal evidence in 1 of my sites).

Jan 06, 2010 @ 16:55
    Simon Dingley

Re-indexing requires manual intervention and I was hoping to find the source of the problem as prevention is better than cure. The Lucene index that is having the problem is not the Umbraco index it is a custom index - perhaps this is a wider problem with Lucene?

Jan 06, 2010 @ 23:13
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The cause (as far as we've been able to find it today) is that the index should ONLY be updated by 1 process at the same time. However, somehow, sometimes the update is allowed to be done by two different processes at the same time, which will cause it to become corrupt. 

I talked to the Axendo guys today, who did umbSearch. They made sure that updates were being done through a singleton. That seems to have helped for them... now we're still investigating the issue more tomorrow, so we might have a solution, but currently, the signs are not good. I'll keep you posted!

Jan 11, 2010 @ 15:32
    Simon Dingley

Thanks for the update - I'd be interested hear any further information you might find on this. As you say - not looking too good.

• Mikael Mørup 297 posts 326 karma points
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 15:14
    Mikael Mørup

Hi Sebastian.

Did you ever find a soultion to this problem ?

I have the same thing happening to my site about once a week i have to manully reindex the custom Lucene search index to make things work again after a index crash.

We have this ascx file attached to the media section: 

<section>
        <areas>
          <area>media</area>
        </areas>

<tab caption="Lucene Index">
          <control>/usercontrols/dashboard/buildIndex.ascx</control>
        </tab>
      </section>

It has a "rebuild index" button. We would like to do an atutomatic reindex every night, until we find a permanent solution toh the problem with the corrupted index files. Does anybody know how i could implement that ?

Thanks

Mar 10, 2010 @ 17:16
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The "solution" for me was to install service pack 2 on our Win2008 server. I've heard from one other user that had the same problem and it also went away after installing SP2. I don't know exactly why this is, but you could give it a go. 

After that, of course, you'd have to re-index one more time.

Let me know if this works for you!

Mar 11, 2010 @ 08:59
    Mikael Mørup

I will aks the person responsible for the server to install SP2 (i he has not already done so) and let you know if it works.

Thanks

Mikael

May 03, 2010 @ 12:13
    Mikael Mørup

I can  now confirm that my Lucene index has not crashed for mor than 2 weeks after installing service pack 2 on the server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft