Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 23, 2009 @ 18:25
    Dirk De Grave

Anyone been using css friendly adapters for login controls?

Hi guys,

Here's another newbie question!

Has anyone succesfully implemented css adapters (http://www.asp.net/CssAdapters/) for login controls in umbraco. Here's what I've found so far:

- Build user control that wraps the asp.net login control and use that user control in a macro on a template -> doesn't work

- Build user control wrapping asp.net login control, dropping that onto a aspx page (not in umbraco), run from vs.net asp.net web app -> works fine

- Drop a server asp.net login control onto an umbraco template and run umbraco page -> works fine

So, what exactly is not working? Well, as soon as I hit the login button, I get a validation error (even though I'm confident having used correct username/password combo), validation error message is the default  *' char and textboxes are cleared?

Anyone any idea what might be causing this behaviour. Css adapter configuration is done correctly, as the html output spitted out when using the asp.net server login control dropped onto a template in umbraco works just fine.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jul 23, 2009 @ 23:18
    Paul Blair

Hey Dirk

I'm not sure if this is your problem but I recall there were a couple of gotchas with the membership controls. they didn't seem to behave nicely if you are usign directory URL's and you can also experience problems if your login control is on the home page (i.e. root URL). Does this fit your problem?

The solution to the 1st issue is you need to add one additional setting to the web.config.
    under <system.webserver> all umbaco's httpmodules are listed. Due to the way IIS process extensionless urls, you need to add: runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="True" to the modules element, so it looks like this: <modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="True">

(Applies to IIS7 and named pipes)

I'm not sure if this solves the 2nd issue. If not I recall seeing it discussed somewhere - perhaps on this forum or on a MS forum.

If you're still having no luck let me know and I will see if I can find the link.

Cheers

Paul

Jul 24, 2009 @ 10:56
    Dirk De Grave

HI Paul,

Many thanks for the feedback!

I don't have extensionless url's enabled yet, so that shouldn't be the problem. Login page is not at the home page, but will be eventually, meaning it might be an issue later on as you say; would be great if you could find that link.

Have to do some extra checking, will report progress later on...

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jul 26, 2009 @ 03:52
    Paul Blair

This was the post i was talking about:

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst2577_Object-moved-to-here-error-on-sign-in-or-out-using-membership-package.aspx

Again, the issue seems to be directed at directory URL's so unlikely to be the solution to your problem.

Jul 27, 2009 @ 21:51
    Dirk De Grave

Ok, some extra feedback after some tweeting with @sebastiaan, @JanSkovgaard and @rsoeteman

Css adapters will help removing all table/tr/td tags, even the ones that are surrounding the login control when rendered (Layout templates only remove the inner table/tr/td tags)

If using the server asp.net login control directly onto the template (and no code required) -> no problem, works as expected.

Dropping an asp.net server control onto a user control which is then hosted in umbraco (again, no code written) -> no problem either.

But, once you'd like to use events such as LoggedIn (which is the one I've been experiencing the problem with) and I've compiled that code behind for that user control into an assembly -> Boom, as said before... validation error (tracing shows a 'Login name: does not exist' - which is the standard .net error message). Setting breakpoints on the even handlers show that the Error event is fired, but no LoggedIn event :(

Last thing to try out is to not compile into assembly but put usercontrol and code behind in usercontrols directory of umbraco installation

Follow up later on.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Jul 27, 2009 @ 21:53
    Dirk De Grave

Oh btw, I could get it to work, but only when I'm registering for the LoggedIn event using

<script runat="server">...</script>

directly from template

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 27, 2009 @ 22:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Dirk, I would love it if you could explain how you got it to work thus far. What did you put in the web.config and did you get pre-compiled DLL's or did you compile them yourself?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 27, 2009 @ 22:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Yes it would indeed be nice to see some wiki-documentation on this, once you are done. :-)

/Jan

Jul 27, 2009 @ 22:27
    Dirk De Grave

I'd rather like to find out why it's currently not working as opposed to wikiblog about my current workaround. I think it's time for some good old debugging sessions :) Keep you posted!

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 28, 2009 @ 14:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Dirk: It was also what I meant - When you got it working ;-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft