Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Wellman 20 posts 40 karma points
    Mar 01, 2012 @ 12:17
    Dan Wellman

Multiple Member Picker with thumbnails

Hi,

I need a multiple member picker that displays a thumbnail of the member's profile picture when selected in the back-office.

I'm currently using the autocomplete control from uComponents, which lets me select multiple members. This is ok for now, but once the site is handed off to the client and begins to accumulate members (hopefully!) it will quickly become difficult to remember which member is which...

Any suggestions? Ideally I'd like a package I can just install and configure but I haven't had any luck finding one.

I'm open to extending the uComponents autocomplete control if necessary although I'll probably need some pointers (I'm more of a front-ender)

Ta :)

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 01, 2012 @ 12:54
    Hendy Racher

Hi Dan,

I'm wondering how the autocomplete control could be updated to handle these circumstances; the member profile picture isn't a standard property, hence configuration could get complex.

Perhaps another solution might be to have a seperate datatype that reads the selected values from the autocomplete field to render each of the selected memeber pictures ?

HTH,

Hendy

Mar 02, 2012 @ 10:59
    Dan Wellman

Thanks Hendy, that's a good point, which I hadn't considered.

Couldn't the autocomplete just look for a profile picture and if it exists show it, but do nothing if it doesn't exist? I guess there could still be issues with using non-standard names for the field - ProfilePic, ProfileImg, MemberPic, Avatar etc. Maybe this could go into the DataType for autocomplete, a field that says 'Field name of member's profile picture (if it exists)' or something like that?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 02, 2012 @ 12:01
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Dan,

Adding such an option to uComponents opens a larger set of questions, not only what would the property alias name be, also what underlying data-type would that be using? (e.g. Media Picker, Upload, or something more exotic like UMP).

I do think it is a useful idea to have a multi-member picker with avatar previews - but I'm not convinced that we should extend uComponents AutoComplete to do this.

Cheers, Lee.

Mar 02, 2012 @ 17:27
    Dan Wellman

Hi Lee,

Good point, will have to look into this further and see what I can come up with...

Thanks for your help guys :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft