Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adam Conde 12 posts 58 karma points
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 18:23
    Adam Conde

Password Reset saving incorrect password

I'm using the PasswordRecovery .NET control to reset member passwords.  I have set the UmbracoMembershipProvider to  enablePasswordReset="true" and passwordFormat="Hashed".  When the control resets the password, I receive an email with a new password and the database is updated with a new hashed password.  However when I try to login, the new password doesn't work.  If I go into the admin area and change the password in the members section, the password is properly changed.  What am i missing?

Umbraco v 4.0.2.1
    asp.net 2.0.50727 w/ 3.5 SP1
    Windows 2003/IIS6

Thanks in advance!

Adam

• Comment author was deleted

Jun 30, 2009 @ 18:43

Hi Adam,

Sounds like a bug, could you submit it to the issue tracker on codeplex.

Jun 30, 2009 @ 19:34
    Adam Conde

I've submitted the issue on codeplex.

WorkItemId: 23320</span>

Aug 06, 2009 @ 19:03
    Adam Conde

If i'm the only person having this problem, then i must be doing something wrong. Please help!  I can't go live with this website if I can't provide a mechanism for resetting a password.

I have tried using the ASP.NET PasswordRecovery control with both hashed and encrypted. Both reset the password, but the password in the email doesn't work. 

I have also tried setting the password manually:

Member m = Member.GetMemberFromEmail(email);
    string password = Membership.GeneratePassword(8, 1);
    m.Password = password;

This also resets the password to something, but when i try to logon using the new password it doesn't work.

The only way I am able to change the password is through the Admin.

My Web.config membership provider looks like this:

<add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="User" requiresUniqueEmail="true" passwordFormat="hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="6" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1" passwordAttemptWindow="10" />

Aug 06, 2009 @ 23:27
    Adam Conde

I believe this issue is a bug in the umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider.ResetPassword

Line 665 sets the Member.Password property with an Encoded password.

m.Password = EncodePassword(newPassword);

The problem is that the Set method of the Password property also encodes the password, so the password is essentially encoded twice

• Chris Larson 48 posts 63 karma points
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 18:24
    Chris Larson

Adam - I have experienced the same problem. My workaround was to use the left 8 characters of a new GUID as the temporary password. It is generally random and unique enough for a password reset process.

Member m = Member.GetMemberFromEmail(email);
    string password = Left(Guid.NewGuid.ToString, 8);
    m.Password = password;

Aug 11, 2009 @ 00:00
    Adam Conde

Yes, that works for manually setting the m.password property.

But, the PasswordRecovery .NET control uses the ResetPassword method in the membership provider.  The umbraco membership provider encodes the  password and sets the m.password property with the encoded password.  however, the SET method of the Password property calls EncodePassword().  In effect, encoding the password twice.

• saintwright 69 posts 77 karma points
    Aug 12, 2009 @ 11:17
    saintwright

I managed to ge this working by creating a project and overriding the ResetPassword method and not encoding the password, I then added another membership provider to the web.config.  Then in the PasswordRecovery page I set the MembershipProvider to my new one!!!

WEB.CONFIG:

<membership defaultProvider="UmbracoMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
                <providers>.

<add enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true"
                      requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="WebsiteUser"
                      passwordFormat="Encrypted" name="NewUmbracoMembershipProvider" type="NewUmbracoMembershipProvider.NewUmbracoMembershipProvider" />

CODE:

namespace NewUmbracoMembershipProvider
    {
        public class NewUmbracoMembershipProvider : umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider
        {

public override string ResetPassword(string username, string answer)
            {

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member.Member memberFromLoginName = Member.GetMemberFromLoginName(username);
                if (memberFromLoginName == null)
                {
                    throw new MembershipPasswordException("The supplied user is not found");
                }

string password = Membership.GeneratePassword(this.MinRequiredPasswordLength, this.MinRequiredNonAlphanumericCharacters);
                memberFromLoginName.Password = password;
                return password;
            }

}
    }

• John Hård 9 posts 29 karma points
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 00:34
    John Hård

Saintwright!

Thanks a lot for this. Saved my ass.

/John

Please Sign in or register to post replies