Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Garry Bain 149 posts 124 karma points
    Feb 23, 2009 @ 15:30
    Garry Bain

Insert basic FLV (without play controls)

Hi guys,

Im looking for the easiest way to insert a basic FLV file I can upload straight to the server via umbraco. I have tried the macro at:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Umbraco/SamplesandArticles/XSLT/Embed_FlashPlayer

But when I attempt to choose my FlashFile, it says "updated with id null" and nothin appears in the editor when I insert the macro, just a red dotted line, nor is there any src on the object.

The Malicious thinkTank Package Dev looked exceptional but I have to avoid the playing controls it has by default - otherwise I would definately be using it.

Can anyone clear up where I have gone wrong with my macro - or suggest a better way of achieving this?

Regards, Garry.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Feb 23, 2009 @ 15:57
    Dan Diplo

Have you added the correct paramater names to the macro?

Feb 23, 2009 @ 16:07
    Garry Bain

I added:

FlashFile FlashFile mediaCurrent
    width width number
    height height number

I believe media current may be the the incorrect type, but the "media content type" does not appear in the list! Is there where I have gone wrong? If so, how do I get it to appear in the list?

Cheers.

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Feb 23, 2009 @ 16:09
    bob baty-barr

Gbain,
    which player were you looking at from Malicious thinkTank?

if it is the one i think, you can strip or customize the controls... i believe... let me know which one you were looking at... and i will see if i can help.

Feb 23, 2009 @ 16:12
    Garry Bain

http://packages.maliciousthinktank.com/flash-video.aspx - this one

If I got this installed it would be great, but I have my own .swf file for playin, stop, rewind controls etc - Its a .flv video as well, I think your other alternative was for .swf's if I recall correctly!

thanks for quick responses anyway - hopefully I can sort this pretty quick!

Feb 23, 2009 @ 16:14
    bob baty-barr

so you are saying that you have your own player? typically, here is how the architecture works... you have an swf - which is the player then you load .flv videos into it.

i was going to paste the link to where all the params can be set with the simple player i am using...
    http://flv-player.net/players/maxi/documentation/

but that doesn't sound like what you are needing... can you give me a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish?

thanks,

Feb 23, 2009 @ 16:23
    Garry Bain

I basically have a .flv file, and an .swf file - and the "skin" for the video will be the swf file - these are just 3 buttons to play, stop and rewind. So I just need to insert the actual video and I can amend the skin myself in the code. Just need the video to sit on my page and for the end user to be able to amend the file type if they wish to change the video to another one they have uploaded in the media section!

Feb 23, 2009 @ 16:35
    bob baty-barr

okay so you are using one of the player skins that come with flash.. right...

so basically, you can use my macro/xslt as a guide.... so you will export the swf that is the player from flash and you will also have the swf that is the player skin...

i would recommend placing all of those in the /data directory in umbraco...

then use activeContent or swfobject to place your playerSWF -- not the skin... because the player actually grabs the skin...

then you can also pass the variable of the flv name in the flashvars.

hope that makes sense.

Feb 23, 2009 @ 16:39
    Garry Bain

Im not really an XSLT developer and completely new to umbraco, but I'll give it an install and try out what you're suggesting. Would it not be easier for me to just have the .swf in the media folder with the .flv file - and then use something similar to the first example I gave that wasn't working correctly - or does your package act similarly?

cheers.

Feb 23, 2009 @ 17:34
    Garry Bain

Hi bootnumlock,

EDIT:

Got the initial package working fine, just need to now use a different .swf file. I didn't create this file so I think the problem lays with my flash developer, will the video definately work with a change of the .swf file or are there any other variables need changing?

Feb 24, 2009 @ 16:29
    Garry Bain

For anyone who wants advice on Flash, using the package listed above is brilliant. Only issue I had was that I was using a different .swf file - only thing I had to do to get it works was

1) Change the code in the XSLT file so it points to the right file
    2) Make sure your .swf and .flv are in the same directory (this is probably due to how my .swf was initially created)

Thanks for all the help,
    Garry.

Feb 25, 2009 @ 05:56
    bob baty-barr

@Gary, so cool that you got it worked out! i was traveling today, so did not check in until just now. thanks for the kind words and so very happy you got it worked out. Would love to see a link when you are ready to share with the world :)

• ted1986 8 posts 20 karma points
    Feb 27, 2009 @ 07:16
    ted1986

Maybe you can try use Moyea Flash video mx pro to generate a html code and then you can use the code to embed your FLV.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft