Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michael Collins 2 posts 20 karma points
    Jan 13, 2009 @ 05:46
    Michael Collins

How to: use ASP.NET themes and skins with Umbraco

I just started using Umbraco, but I came up with an extension to Umbraco that allows the use of ASP.NET themes and skins with Umbraco web sites. I posted the source code and a brief explanation of how it works to my blog.

See http://www.imaginaryrealities.com/post/2009/01/12/Adding-ASPNET-themes-to-Umbraco.aspx.

• Stephan Lonntorp 195 posts 212 karma points
    Jan 13, 2009 @ 08:25
    Stephan Lonntorp

This should be a feature of the Umbraco core!

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 13, 2009 @ 09:10
    Dirk De Grave

Hi,

Looks promising.. Any chance it will be shared as a package? Any change to write a book on it on the http://umbraco.org/documentation/books section?

Cheers,
    /Dirk

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Mar 18, 2009 @ 01:00
    Gordon Saxby

OK, now I've only just tried this and it seems to work, but it seems far too easy to be right!

Anyway, I added an "AppThemes" folder to my Umbraco V4 site because I needed to style a grid (and other things) contained within a user control I'd written.

The web site worked fine and took notice of the styles in the App
    Themes setup. However, the Umbraco admin site stopped working, complaining about themes needing a "runat=server" or similar.

After a lot of searching and finding no (easy) answers, I thought I'd try creating a basic web.config containing
    [code]

[/code]
    which basically just turns theme support off. I placed the web.config in the "umbraco" and "umbraco_client" folders and the Umbraco admin started working again!?

So, can anyone see any flaws in this plan?

• eakkas 2 posts 20 karma points
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 08:44
    eakkas

@ ascendinternet,

Is this still working fine for you? Have you experienced any issues? Do you insert the AppTheme folder under the umbracoclient root (wwwroot/YourSite/umbracoclient) or the website root (wwwroot/YourSite/)? I assume it should be the umbracoclient but since the app_code folder is under the website root I am kind of confused... :-k

Apr 27, 2009 @ 09:59
    Gordon Saxby

The site is now live and it does seem to be OK. The "Theme" was not overly complicated, but it is working.

The App_Themes folder is at the root, which is where Visual Studio puts it - I assume that's where it is supposed to be. Basically, the Theme applies to the entire web site because it is set in the web.config contained in the web site root folder.

I then added the web.config files as mentioned earlier to turn off Theme support in those specific (Umbraco) folders.

• seanrock 241 posts 462 karma points
    Jun 11, 2009 @ 10:00
    seanrock

This is exactly what i'm doing and it works fine

Jun 16, 2010 @ 16:08
    Gordon Saxby

Although the above does work fine for normal web pages, it does not work for Google Sitemap (XML) pages. It also stops the "Install" section working when you upgrade the Umbraco version.

The Install problem is easy enough to get round (temporarily turn off Themes), but I can't see how to get round the sitemap problem. Basically, Themes needs a <HEAD> section with runat=server ... which as far as I can tell is not possible when creating a Google XML sitemap!?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this issue?

• Jeff Chapin 18 posts 39 karma points
    Mar 14, 2011 @ 23:35
    Jeff Chapin
  • Janaka Lakmal 25 posts 72 karma points
    Dec 21, 2011 @ 17:45
    Janaka Lakmal

Link is broken. Would anybody be kind enough to send me the new link please?

• Mike Cooper 10 posts 50 karma points
    Oct 30, 2012 @ 21:14
    Mike Cooper

I get an error when trying to add a reference to pages themem in the app root web.config. Has anyone been able to get App Themes to work with Umbraco 4.9.0?

*Correction: Had a typo, sorry. Adding the App Themes worked as expected.

• PedroM. 28 posts 87 karma points
    Jul 19, 2013 @ 12:50
    PedroM.

Just for a reference to some themes for Umbraco can have a look to BindTuning.com

Sells themes for Umbraco, all customizable to fit your branding.

In 30 minutes have a sharp looking Umbraco theme installed and running vs. 1 to 2 weeks of custom development.

You also can try the trials installing in your enviroment before buying a theme.

Have a try http://bindtuning.com/cms/umbraco/themes
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft