Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jorge 15 posts 36 karma points
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 12:52
    Jorge

Examine - SimpleDataIndexer problem

Hello

I'm trying to add the SimpleDataIndexer to my already working Umbraco instalation, but after setting up .config files I get the following exception when the application is started:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: An exception occurred in the target of the invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception occurred in the type initializer  'search. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception occurred in the type initializer 'Examine.ExamineManager'. ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: type (\config\ExamineSettings.config line 13)

at System.Web.Configuration.ProvidersHelper.InstantiateProvider(ProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType)
    at System.Web.Configuration.ProvidersHelper.InstantiateProviders(ProviderSettingsCollection configProviders, ProviderCollection providers, Type providerType)
    at Examine.ExamineManager.LoadProviders()
    at Examine.ExamineManager..ctor()
    at Examine.ExamineManager..cctor()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace --- 
    at Examine.ExamineManager.get_Instance()
    at search.RN..cctor() at \App_Code\RN.cs:lĂ­nea 20
    at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
    at umbraco.macro.GetXsltExtensions()

My config/ExamineSettings.config file looks like:

<providers>

<!-- The next one is line 13 that throw excpetion -->

<add name="CustomIndexer" type="Examine.LuceneEngine.Providers.SimpleDataIndexer, Examine.LuceneEngine"

dataService="ExamineDemo.CustomDataService, ExamineDemo"

indexTypes="CustomData"

enableDefaultEventHandler="false"

runAsync="false"/>

</providers>

"CustomData" is defined inside config/ExamineIndex.config file.My Umbraco version is 4.5.4, Windows 7, IIS 7.5.

Any idea on what could be going on?

Regards,

Jorge

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 01:52
    Aaron Powell

Does the class defined as 'dataService' have a public constructor which takes 0 arguments?

Dec 23, 2010 @ 09:09
    Jorge

Hello Slace, yes, it has.

regards,

Jorge

Dec 24, 2010 @ 10:35
    Jorge

Hello

I still have the same problem, any idea on how to solve it? I tried to use the SimpleDataIndexer  on a clean Umbraco (with Runway) installation, but with no luck... please help!

Thanks

Jorge

• Greyhound 102 posts 124 karma points
    Dec 28, 2010 @ 18:15
    Greyhound

Jorge,

I'm getting exactly the same error.

Have you found a way to get past this or any sensible documentation for real world examples that work in Umbraco?

I'm tearing my hair out, I've redone the farmcode example out 10 times checking and rechecking everything.

Dec 29, 2010 @ 09:41
    Jorge

Hello Greyhound 

After trying to make it work many, many times I came out with a work around. I created the index for my file by hand, that way I don't need to use Examine's configuration file. I followed this excellent Tutorial to make it work.

Regards,

Jorge

• Greyhound 102 posts 124 karma points
    Dec 29, 2010 @ 17:52
    Greyhound

Hi Jorge,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I've had some success with the tutorial so will crack on with that and see where I get to.
    Do you schedule your index creation or are you running it manually on a periodic basis?

I'm a bit shocked at the lack of documentation and response on this issue though - it definitely doesn't work as it should and is a bit of a show stopper in my mind.

Cheers,

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 06:34
    Aaron Powell

This forum isn't an issue tracker, if you think you've found a bug raise it: http://examine.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic

Dec 30, 2010 @ 09:00
    Jorge

Hello Greyhound, please, tell me when you make it work! I will probably create the index when an user update or change the source file.Thanks!

Hello Slace, at first I didn't know that this was a bug, that's why I posted it here; but due to the lack of response, it probably is. I'll post it now in the issue tracker.

Regards,

Jorge

Jan 03, 2011 @ 10:03
    Jorge

Hello Greyhound

The way to make it work is adding the class file in this case CustomDataService as a class library.

Regards,

Jorge

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft