Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 09:10
    Ismail Mayat

Examine wildcard search score

Not really examine issue more lucene issue but will ask just in case anyone knows the answer.  When i do a standard search in my index for the word bank i get 288 docs and for top results get score values like:

When i repeat the same search but this time using wildcard query eg bank* i get value of 1 for all the scores.  This is the same for queries through examine and through luke in both instances i am using standard analyzer.  I have done in the past wildcard queries with umbSearch which was using lucene 1.9 and score worked e.g http://www.akcros.com/sitetools/searchresults.aspx?search=lead am I missing a trick some where with examine which uses lucene 2.9?

Regards

Ismail

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:52
    Aaron Powell

There's something different that Lucene does do with scoring when you're using wildcards, I remember it being mentioned in the Lucene in Action book, but I can't remember rightly what it is.

You should still be getting numerical differences for the results though, that's for sure. I'd check the Lucene docs

Oct 29, 2010 @ 10:43
    Ismail Mayat

Slace,

Found this post http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/92194 basically the solution they are recommending is

You need to change multiTermRewriteMethod of QueryParser. 
    qp.setMultiTermRewriteMethod(MultiTermQuery.SCORING_BOOLEAN_QUERY_REWRITE); 

I guess thats something in the bowels of umbraco examine that would need changing?

Regards

Ismail

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 29, 2010 @ 11:43
    Aaron Powell

Yeah that's not even close to being exposed :P

You'd have to modify the way the fluent API is generating the query

Oct 29, 2010 @ 11:59
    Ismail Mayat

Slace,

Quick dirty hack i know for all our sites we will be using wildcard searches so i updated source in class LuceneSearchCriteria 

this.queryParser = new MultiFieldQueryParser(luceneVersion, fields, analyzer);
     this.queryParser.SetAllowLeadingWildcard(allowLeadingWildcards);         
     queryParser.SetMultiTermRewriteMethod(MultiTermQuery.SCORING_BOOLEAN_QUERY_REWRITE); //my line here

Does the trick not sure what it would do with non wildcard query might give it a whirl see what it does to scoring.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft