Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Nov 14, 2009 @ 13:41
    Jeroen Breuer

Umbraco Contour questions

Hello,

I've got a few questions about Umbraco Contour:

- Is it possible to modify the output Contour generates? What if I would like to have 3 textboxes in 1 row or have some html between 2 textboxes. Is this possible? If so how can this be done?

- Is it possible to have a custom event when a form is being submitted? If I would like to read all the posted data and do something with it in a custom event can this be done?

Contour looks great so far!

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Nov 14, 2009 @ 20:59
    Niels Hartvig

1) Yes - either via css or you can modify the repeater template in /usercontrols/renderform.ascx

2) Yes, of course - full API docs here: http://packages.umbraco.org/media/11210/contour%20developer%20docs.pdf

You can install a working trial directly from the official package repository and try this yourself before purchase. The only limitation in the trial is that data from fields in a submitted form is not saved.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Nov 15, 2009 @ 22:50
    Jeroen Breuer

Thanks for the info Niels! The output Contour generates can be adjusted a little, but it doesn't give complete control yet. Is it possible you can let a form generate an html example and edit that with the richtext editor? Perhaps instead of using a usercontrol you can use an xslt (with xslt extensions). This way the rendered output can be adjusted and it gives more advanced users complet control of the forms.

Umbraco Contour rocks!

• Josh Harbert 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 17, 2009 @ 23:55
    Josh Harbert

I tried to add a custom field type, but it does not work as instructed in your doc.  Can you post a full class so I can use it as a skeleton?

• Comment author was deleted

Nov 18, 2009 @ 10:06

@Josh, here's an example: reCaptcha fieldtype package http://bit.ly/3vNJYw and sourcecode http://bit.ly/J9YM0 (provided as-is)

• Enrique Gutierrez 7 posts 29 karma points
    Nov 25, 2009 @ 01:55
    Enrique Gutierrez

Not sure if this helps, but as info -

But you can microManage the form fields with a quick addition of id="formfield<%# ((IDataItemContainer)Container).DisplayIndex %>" to the contourField classed div... like so:

<asp:Repeater ID="rpFieldsets" runat="server" OnItemDataBound="RenderFieldset">
                <ItemTemplate>
                    <fieldset class="contourFieldSet">
                        <asp:Literal ID="legend" runat="server" />

<asp:Repeater id="rpFields" runat="server" OnItemDataBound="RenderField">

<ItemTemplate>
                                <div id="formfield<%# ((IDataItemContainer)Container).DisplayIndex %>" class="contourField">

It would be awesome to have the ability to assign a CSS classes to a Contour objects and create divs with ID's and classes within the console, but this works out nicely as a work-around.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Oct 26, 2010 @ 16:14
    Amir Khan

Regarding this, is it possible to change Contour so it renders form items in an ordered list?

• psiho 101 posts 96 karma points
    Oct 26, 2010 @ 19:37
    psiho

I hope it is not rude to post this in "competing" package section... but some of those customization questions are exactly what we asked ourselves when pushing Contour to the limits. At the end we developed a custom package called MailformProtector that basically lets you use whatever HTML form you want (created externaly) - it receives post from that form and then emails it (so basicaly it is form2mail with some extra functionality like antispam).

It is nice alternative for some implementations where customizing contour output is just a bit too much work or impossible.

Oct 26, 2010 @ 20:10
    Amir Khan

psiho, I don't think it's rude to post this in the Contour section. Contour is great, especially if clients need to be able to create forms, surveys etc, I'll continue to use it for those situations.That doesn't mean is the only valid solution for creating forms in Umbraco.

Does your form package use any normal jQuery validation, can I remove the spam checking?

email me at amir [at] blackswaninteractive [dot] com if you can.

• MikeD 92 posts 112 karma points
    Dec 10, 2012 @ 23:28
    MikeD

I was wondering if there will be some updated documentation for the new version of Contour.  I also have several suggestions.  I am not a programmer, I am just a developer.  I see the great potential of Contour, but I also see some severe limitations.  For one, there is no way to insert descriptive text in a form.  For example, my current client has a form for members of the association to select committees they would like to be considered for.  They want the form to have the committee name and then in the next line put a descripotion of the committee.  Also, when the type is a checkbox, the checkbox should go BEFORE the caption, not after.

It would be most helpful to me to see some actual examples, preferably in razor, that I can learn to modify.  Again, not a programmer, no access to Visual Studios... I need a simpler way to be able to modify output.

Dec 10, 2012 @ 23:35
    Amir Khan

Mike, Contour 3.0 gives you control over the generated markup, see some info here: http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2012/11/8/contour-30-features-full-control-over-form-markup.aspx

Dec 10, 2012 @ 23:43
    MikeD

That still means I need Visual Studios and a programmer... is there no other way to modify the output?  

Dec 10, 2012 @ 23:52
    MikeD

That video does not tell me where the files I need to modify are either...  looks easy enough to do if I had a little more info... this is the kind of stuff I was asking about.  Make the documentation more stupid proof.  lol

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft