Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Lysgaard 16 posts 76 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 09:56
    Jesper Lysgaard

Codebehind on masterpages - is it possible in umbraco 4.0?

Hi,

I am a week or so into Umbraco and has only scratched the surface.

My current project is to move a small site from Ektron cms400 to Umbraco 4. I'm almost there but ran into this in getting the site compatible with Safari.

On the old site I was using this in codebehind on my masterpages to get the asp:menu control to work right in Safari:

protected override void AddedControl(Control control, int index)

{

if (Request.ServerVariables["http_user_agent"].IndexOf("Safari", StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase) != -1)

this.Page.ClientTarget = "uplevel";

base.AddedControl(control, index);

}

But I guess the model in umbraco is different? Is it possible to add a masterpage the 'normal' way with codebehind?

Thanks
    /Jesper

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 09:59
    Rasmus Berntsen

Yes, just create the template (Masterpage) from Visual Studio. That way you'll have your codebehind etc. You'll have to create a template in umbraco with the same filename before it's visible. That's the way I usually do it.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 11:02
    Aaron Powell

You don't have to create it in Visual Studio, you just need to make sure you set the Inherits statement see the MSDN overview for Master Pages - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wtxbf3hh.aspx

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 11:19
    Petr Snobelt

You don't need codebehind, you can add <script runat="server"> directly to masterpage, but in this particular case there is better way - add browser file, using google I found this, maybe it is not 100% correct, but it's a right way:

What I did to enable the asp:menu for Safari was to add a file called safari.browser to the App_Browsers folder. The contents of safari.browser are as follows: 

<browsers>
      <browser refID="safari1plus">
        <controlAdapters>
          <adapter controlType="System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu" adapterType="" />
        </controlAdapters>
      </browser>
    </browsers>

• Jesper Lysgaard 16 posts 76 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 12:29
    Jesper Lysgaard

Thank you all for the responses.

I went for the VS solution and the menu is now working in Safari as well.

@petr
    I could not get the safari.browser solution to work - I got to look into this a little more.

/Jesper

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft