Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 11:14
    Warren Buckley

Umbraco 6: ContentService API or Examine?

Hello I have just read a post by core team member/developer Shannon on custom MVC routing which is great.

In his example code he uses Examine to find a node with a specific nodetype alias and node name, however I was curious to know why Shannon, didn't use the new ContentService API to do a LINQ expression to find the same node he was after.

So the question I pose is this: When should I be using Examine and when should I be using ContentService API?

If I should be examine alot, then couldn't the ContentService API just be a friendly API wrapper or layer on top of Examine instead?

What do you think, would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    Warren :)

Jul 04, 2013 @ 11:15
    Warren Buckley

The forum post in question that Shannon wrote is this:
    http://shazwazza.com/post/Custom-MVC-routing-in-Umbraco 

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 11:36
    Stefan Kip

I think it's personal preference. Personally I'd never use Examine for this kind of task, because it's not reliable enough; it's not certain the indexes are complete and up-to-date.

• Anthony Dang 1404 posts 2558 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 11:57
    Anthony Dang

An example of where I should have used lucene is the "latest comments dashboard" control in uBlogsy. The dashboard is slow as it basically gets all descendents of the blog landing node. On 1000 nodes that's assumingly 1000+ hits to the db - correct me of i'm wrong. 

When dealing with a lot of nodes that need traversing/searching (eg. 2000+) then lucene is the only choice. But there are caveats. The indexes might not be up to date, so what ever results you get back, you need to check of the node actually exits. I would then use the Content Service to get the raw data from the db   

I find that it pays to get the actual IContent ot IPublishedContent after you get a search result. That way you can actually get the up to date data. I have an extention method in uBlogsy to get an IPublishedContent from a SearchResult. Should be one for IContent too.

Jul 04, 2013 @ 12:02
    Stefan Kip

@Anthony
    "On 1000 nodes that's assumingly 1000+ hits to the db - correct me of i'm wrong."

I hereby correct you ;-) The NodeFactory doesn't hit the DB at all.

Jul 04, 2013 @ 12:09
    Warren Buckley

@stefan kip but does the ContentService API do as many DB calls?

• Anthony Dang 1404 posts 2558 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 12:11
    Anthony Dang

IPublishedContent is a wrapper around NodeFactory which hits the xml cache.

But we're talking about ContentService which returns an IContent, not IPublishedContent.

ContentService is a replacement for the Document API, which hit the db really inefficiently. ContentService is just more efficient at db access?

At least that's my understanding. Again correct me of I'm wrong about ContentService.

Jul 04, 2013 @ 12:16
    Warren Buckley

We could do with Morten or Shannon to chip on this thread with the official Core response on the differences between ContentService (IContent, IPublishedContent, NodeFactory & Examine etc...)

Jul 04, 2013 @ 13:04
    Stefan Kip

Ah yes, sorry, was already assuming using the NodeFactory instead of the ContentService :-)

I wish there was a PublishedReadOnlyContentService, so the NodeFactory could retire too...

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Jul 04, 2013 @ 21:52
    Andy Butland

I believe - as Anthony suggests - the reason for using Examine rather than the ContentService API would be performance.  The API seems more intended for writes and back-office type CRUD operations when you want the latest information.   Rather than front-end reads - for which you would want the caching/speed that NodeFactory or Examine provides.

Andy

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5269 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 05, 2013 @ 01:59
    Shannon Deminick

I replied on my blog post but will reply here too...

@Warren: I think you skipped the part in the blog post that explains the different ways that you could look up the content.

You should definitely not use the ContentService to lookup content because that is at the repository/database level, not the cache level. You should only use the ContentService when you need to manipulate content in the database.

The ways to lookup content from cache are: Examine, a Linq query based on the result of Umbraco.TypedContentAtRoot() (but I wouldn’t recommend that since it will be much slower), OR

In v6.1 the UmbracoHelper exposes a couple of other methods that you could use to perform if you want to use XPath instead:

TypedContentSingleAtXPath(string xpath, params XPathVariable[] vars)

TypedContentAtXPath(string xpath, params XPathVariable[] vars)

TypedContentAtXPath(XPathExpression xpath, params XPathVariable[] vars)

@Anthony, NodeFactory is completely legacy, IPublishedContent does not wrap Node or NodeFactory it is similar but stands apart from that API, it is recomended to drop NodeFactory entirely as it is obsolete.

@kipusoep, IPublishedContent IS readonly, you cannot write to it and you can lookup IPublishedContent from the methods found on the UmbracoHelper

So, to wrap it up, the reason I used Examine in my blog post was because in 6.0 we hadn't implemented a sufficient published content lookup API and only exposed 2 ways to do that: TypedSearch or TypedContentAtRoot. But in 6.1 we have TypedContentSingleAtXPath & TypedContentAtXPath

Of course if you wanted to route by Id, you can just use the method TypedContent which exists from version 4.10

Jul 05, 2013 @ 02:03
    Shannon Deminick

@kipusoep if you have problems with your indexes please log bugs, Examine should always be up to date. This however depends on if you are manipulating the database directly or doing something else which causes events to not execute to keep Examine up to date. It has become far more stable in recent releases but this is mostly due to the core stability being improved to ensure that events are triggered. 

Jul 05, 2013 @ 09:10
    Stefan Kip

I didn't know the (I)PublishedContent(Service) was ready for usage in C#. I've asked about this before on Twitter and didn't really know what to do with it:

https://twitter.com/kipusoep/status/310035598075387904

So in v6.1(+), when using plain C# with UserControls and MasterPage code-behind, is using this IPublishedContent the way to go in favor of the NodeFactory? :-)

Jul 05, 2013 @ 09:12
    Shannon Deminick

It's not, as I mentioned you access these methods via the UmbracoHelper. There's been methods on the UmbracoHelper for retreiving content since 4.10 but they didn't include the new ones that allow you to use XPath, these were introduced in 6.1

Jul 05, 2013 @ 09:13
    Shannon Deminick

Yes, there are numerous base classes for both webforms and mvc that you should use that expose all the proper Umbraco objects like UmbracoHelper, UmbracoContext, ApplicationContext, etc... You should use these base classes and the UmbracoHelper to query for data.

Yes... i still need to document everything :)

Jul 05, 2013 @ 09:14
    Stefan Kip

Great, I'm a bit tired of working with the NodeFactory and Node objects, so looking forward to work with those new services and models :)

Jul 05, 2013 @ 09:16
    Shannon Deminick

Awesome :)

For UserControls, there's this base class: Umbraco.Web.UI.Controls.UmbracoUserControl found in the umbraco.dll assembly, you should inherit from that for your user controls and it will expose all the new Umbraco bits that you want.

• Janet Kirklen 102 posts 212 karma points
    Sep 12, 2014 @ 16:03
    Janet Kirklen

This threat was very helpful.  I've been working on a user control for the Dashboard and I was struggling with querying the CMS and dealing with the result set from Content Service in a Umbraco 7 MCV environment.  Using Examine to get my results and structure my query seems to do the trick and is a be eaiser to deal with.

When to use which method and library when you are working in different scenarios is very confusing when someone (like me) is transitioning from Webforms to MVC. Would be great to have some sort of guide for this. 

Sep 17, 2014 @ 01:27
    Shannon Deminick

Hi,

There's a very important thing to note when working with Umbraco: Never use the back office services APIs in your front-end, especially the content APIs since this goes directly to the database. Examine is an alternate way of working with data on the front-end but the normal and documented way is working with the IPublishedContent which is the model that is given to you by default in your views

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Templating/Mvc/views

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/templating/mvc/querying

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft