Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 19 posts 49 karma points
    May 08, 2012 @ 19:10
    Matt

Quick Design Question

Apologies if this is not the correct forum, but this seemed to be the closest forum to my question.

I have inherited an Umbraco site with no notes or documentation. afte rmuch digging about, I have found one set of pages I have been asked to change are stored in a database. However, the pages that are displayed to the screen are htm files stored in in the folder /umbraco/scrape.

Being as the data is in the database, I have to admit that I'm confused as to why this has been done. As I said, I have no documentation, so I have no idea if this is 'the approved umbraco way', or if the previous person had their own reasons for doing this.

So, can anyone suggest why this may have been done? (And if this is a 'stanard way' of presenting data in Umbraco, are there any tools I can use to populate another 145 html files, or do I need to create something that will open each page in turn, and priduce the htm fragment??)

Thanks

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    May 10, 2012 @ 02:15
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Matt,

I'm going to risk my rear here by saying that it smells of a developer that didn't know a thing about Umbraco and went and created a website within the website, so to speak ;-)

Either that, or the purpose was to create a custom section in Umbraco. When you create a custom section in Umbraco you'll need to create your own views for the operations that needs to be performed and/or list data. Also, when doing this, it's common that you'll have an external datasource or custom tables in the Umbraco data, to manipulate from within the custom section.

One thing is for sure: it's not the standard way of using Umbraco ;-) At least not if it wasn't meant to be used in the context of a custom section.

Just my 5 cent.

All the best,

Bo

• Matt 19 posts 49 karma points
    May 10, 2012 @ 09:30
    Matt

Thanks Bo.

It did look odd in the context of it all.

By digging about I have found that these htm files broadly represent the same reports over several different years. During this time the reports have evolved, so this may have been a way of ensuring that the reports maintained the presentation and details required for their particular year. The alterantives in that case would be to store each fragment as html in the database as a blob, or have a table of data representing each version of the report, and a seperate template for each version, and some way of stringing it all together. The last option would have been my preferred method, but I suppose then that you need some way of telling umbraco which template to load for a particular piece of data, rather than simply having one template that displays a text strem that is pulled from a file or database blob.

Either way, you have answered my question, so thanks. (No doubt I will be back to ask more as I can see the request to add another data set heading down the tracks towards me like a frieght train..)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft