Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    May 02, 2012 @ 01:26
    Gordon Saxby

User image upload and crop

I need to create a UserControl to allow signed in Umbraco members to upload an image to the site - from the front end, not using Umbraco. I need to allow the user to crop their image (i.e. user select an area and then crop / resize image). Ideally I would want the image to be stored properly in the Media Library.

So, is there by chance an existing control that will do that? If not, can I use and combine an Upload control and the Umbraco Image Cropper control?

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    May 02, 2012 @ 12:40
    Jeroen Breuer

I've never used a cropper in the frontend, but I did create media. Maybe this part of DAMP can help you: http://damp.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/86116#1967018

There I create media items and crops while installing a package.

Jeroen

May 02, 2012 @ 14:41
    Gordon Saxby

Thanks for the pointer to that code, Jeroen.

It's the first / main bit of using an Umbraco control in my UserControl that I am not sure about ... I thought I had seen posts about it but can't find it / them !?

The website needs the image to be a specific pixel size, width and height, so I need to be able to enforce that. I could use something like ImageGen to dynamically resize but that might not work if the proportions are not correct, hence the need to crop.

May 02, 2012 @ 14:43
    Jeroen Breuer

If you use ImageGen pro you can also crop images. It works pretty well :).

Jeroen

May 02, 2012 @ 14:49
    Gordon Saxby

Yes, but if the image needs to be 400px wide by 300px high - and the uploaded image is 2000px by 2000px then automatically resizing and cropping it will either lose some or leave a part blank / missing. Also, the user does not get to decide which part of the image to keep / lose.

The user will be the "general public" so insisting that the source image is the correct size or proportions is not an option ;-)

May 02, 2012 @ 14:57
    Gordon Saxby

Ah, just found this ... looks interesting!

http://deepliquid.com/content/Jcrop.html

May 02, 2012 @ 14:59
    Jeroen Breuer

I understand :). Custom cropping is the best solution than. Umbraco has another cropper which might be better suited. It's part of the skinning feature. Have a look at the first part of this video: http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/creating-a-skin-for-umbraco/image-dependency-type/TVPlayer

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft