Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Marios 2 posts 32 karma points
    Jan 26, 2015 @ 11:55
    Marios

Error 'Root element is missing' when trying to 'save and publish'

Hi, I'm totally new to Umbraco and am getting the below error when I try to 'save and publish' any page. I'm not aware of anything being modified which might have caused the problem however can confirm that this is a recent issue. It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction please!

We're running:

1. Umbraco v 4.7.0 (Assembly version: 1.0.4090.38017).

2. Windows server 2008 SP2 

3. Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1022

Thanks,

Marios

Server Error in '/' Application.

Root element is missing.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[XmlException: Root element is missing.]
       System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res) +198
       System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() +5206540
       System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent() +26
       Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSerializableDictionary2.Read1_dictionary() +26

[InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (0, 0).]
       System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) +1377
       Examine.LuceneEngine.SerializableDictionaryExtensions.ReadFromDisk(SerializableDictionary`2 sd, FileInfo fi) +601
       Examine.LuceneEngine.IndexerExecutive.TimestampEXA() +100
       Examine.LuceneEngine.IndexerExecutive.get_IsExecutiveMachine() +87
       Examine.LuceneEngine.Providers.LuceneIndexer.SafelyProcessQueueItems() +23
       Examine.LuceneEngine.Providers.LuceneIndexer.AddNodesToIndex(IEnumerable`1 nodes, String type) +520
       Examine.LuceneEngine.Providers.LuceneIndexer.ReIndexNode(XElement node, String type) +188
       Examine.ExamineManager._ReIndexNode(XElement node, String type, IEnumerable`1 providers) +93
       umbraco.DocumentCacheEventHandler.Invoke(Document sender, DocumentCacheEventArgs e) +0
       umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Document d) +1112
       umbraco.library.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 DocumentId) +122
       umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.Publish(Object sender, EventArgs e) +541
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +187
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +165
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3707

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1022

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 26, 2015 @ 12:03
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

You could try to delete the ExamineIndexes folder which is in \App_Data\TEMP. You might need to stop your website in IIS first before you can do this.

After that you can start the website again and the ExamineIndexes should rebuild itself. Than it might work again.

Jeroen

• Marios 2 posts 32 karma points
    Jan 26, 2015 @ 12:23
    Marios

Amazing! You're a superstar Jeroen!

I deleted the folder and then restarted the website as suggested. It took a couple of attempts to 'save and publish' the page I guess because the index files were being re-created but I can now publish pages again!

Thanks again Jeroen!

Marios

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 26, 2015 @ 12:31
    Jeroen Breuer

Glad I could help. Could you please mark the post as the solution.

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft