Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michael Losapio 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 21:12
    Michael Losapio

Umbraco in Windows/SQL Azure?

Greetings, everyone!  New to the forum, but we've been using Umbraco as our CMS solution for a year now.  Love everything about it, but as more and more things are moving to the "cloud," I was wondering if anyone had had any success in moving an Umbraco site to the Azure platform?  I'm assuming it'd be a combination of SQL Azure for the database and Windows Azure for the front-end, but I haven't been able to find much out there on whether or not it's possible.  Anyone done it?  If not Azure, has anyone had success on other platforms?

Thanks,
    Michael

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 21:34
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Michael,

May want to check this blog post.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Michael Losapio 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 22:20
    Michael Losapio

Thanks, Dirk!  Wow, so it's literally as easy as just adding all of your Umbraco website files to a Visual Studio Azure project and deploying?  Awesome.  Do you know of anyone that's already done this?

Thanks,
    Michael

• Arthurh 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 24, 2010 @ 23:24
    Arthurh

Dirk, Michael,

I've been trying to run Umbraco on Azure, but so far without success. Some of the provided DLL's are in 32bit and Azure is native 64. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it is going to work as long as 32bit dll's are used.

Best regards,

Arthur

P.S. After putting all files in an Azure project, fixing the basics and stuff, I get the following error when I run the project:

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

• Chefdog 5 posts 26 karma points
    Feb 15, 2010 @ 22:36
    Chefdog

Gents, any luck?

I am working on the same concept; getting umrbaco into a windows azure solution. It should be possible. The problem Arthurh describes could be fixed by referencing the correct 64 and 32 bit dll's (you need both), as I did found some stuff on that specific problem.

Hopefully I have a virtualmachine up and running soon :)

• Chefdog 5 posts 26 karma points
    Feb 16, 2010 @ 13:58
    Chefdog

Next step completed! The solution is up and running!

I now have a virtual machine with windows server 2008, SQL server 2008 express, visual studio 2008, windows azure SDK 1.1 and a solution with a cloud service and a webrole. The webrole is umbraco. It is working!!!!

Next step is deployment, I'll keep sending updates

• Kevin Keeney 6 posts 25 karma points
    May 06, 2010 @ 01:48
    Kevin Keeney

@Marco

Okay, how's that going? You've not replied with a single update since February 16, 2010. Please send us (or me) an update on your success or failure of the solution you've created.

Regards,

Kevin Keeney

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Jun 26, 2010 @ 09:12
    Daniel Bardi

Umbraco web installer will not work against a SQL Azure database at the time of this writing so if you want to use Umbraco on a standard Windows server but have the database on SQL Azure...

... do the following!

1. Be sure all tables have a clustered index
      (umbracoUserLogins seemed to be the only one that does not) 
    2. Using SQL Management Studio, export a full SQL script for the database
      (be sure to include data in the scripting)
    3. Download "SQL Azure Migration Wizard 3.3" (http://sqlazuremw.codeplex.com/)
    4. Open exported TSQL script in SQLAzureMW
    5. Point SQLAzureMW to your SQL Azure database
    6. Run the script against the database... DONE!

Works like a charm!  (BTW.. upgrade wizard might run after install.. this is okay)

• Owen Hope 119 posts 140 karma points
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 23:14
    Owen Hope
  • Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 01:08
    Daniel Bardi

SQL Azure does not support the ALTER database command.  The database must be new.

• ridi 71 posts 103 karma points
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 15:27
    ridi

Have a problem that after i move to SQL Azure, the problem happens

Server Error in '/' Application.

Invalid object name 'umbracoDomains'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'umbracoDomains'.

many solution refers to this article http://www.carbonsoft.co.uk/articles/2012/06/copying-an-umbraco-website.aspx 

however the problem is in azure, it doesnt have sp_MSforeachtable  to execute

• marmar 35 posts 28 karma points
    Jun 20, 2015 @ 16:25
    marmar

Correct Has anyone come up with a solution for the alter db? I assume we can alter the schema one by one.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft