Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• david 46 posts 81 karma points
    Oct 29, 2009 @ 16:06
    david

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Hi, until yesterday we had a perfect working umbraco 4.0.1 installation, but today, when apparently nothing has changed, we are getting errors whenever we try to edit content.  For Content, Members and DataTypes the error is the following:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.addControlNew(Property p, TabPage tp, String Caption) +54
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl..ctor(Content c, publishModes CanPublish, String Id) +780
       umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.OnInit(EventArgs e) +368
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +333
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +378

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

For the DataTypes we get the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

No dataType with id = 3033 found

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: No dataType with id = 3033 found

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: No dataType with id = 3033 found]
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.setupDataTypeDefinition() +239
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.GetDataTypeDefinition(Guid id) +129
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.GetAll() +168
       umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.bindDataGenericProperties(Boolean Refresh) +72
       umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.setupGenericPropertiesPane() +178
       umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.OnInit(EventArgs e) +121
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +333
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +210
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +378

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

I am sure that I have to change something in the database, but I just have no idea what.

Thanks

• david 46 posts 81 karma points
    Oct 29, 2009 @ 18:14
    david

After looking at the DB, there was no node with the id=3033 in the cmsDataType table.  However, this node existed in the table umbracoNodes.  Once deleted from there, a quick restart restored the Admin functionality.

By the way, the complete separation of BackEnd and FrontEnd with the cache, node factory etc is awesome.  Even though the admin has not worked all day, the public site has been available and functioning perfectly.  Great job

• Thomas Kahn 602 posts 506 karma points
    Nov 11, 2009 @ 15:03
    Thomas Kahn

Hi david!

I have a follow-up question regarding the deletion of the node in the database table umbracoNodes. Doesn't this mean that all content that is stored using this datatype is deleted?

We are in a similar situation (topic found here: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/4965-Data-type-not-found) and the error has occured on a live site with lots of content, so we need to be really careful not to mess things up.

/Thomas Kahn

• Michael H. 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 11, 2011 @ 13:14
    Michael H.

Hi all

@david:

I had the same problems with my old umbraco (< 4.7.0) installation.

Your solution worked perfekt. I made a backup of the database and deleted the missing "nodeId" in the table "umbracoNode". After this correction the administration site worked without any problems.

Hopefully this bug is fixed in the 4.7.0 release, because I want to upgrade today :-)

Greetz
    Michael

• Jan Borup Coyle 8 posts 51 karma points
    Oct 04, 2012 @ 09:15
    Jan Borup Coyle

Hi There

I also have this problem in a umbraco v 4.0.2.1, and have the same error both in content and in datatypes.

My VERY simple solution was to: Recycle the IIS pool. - Thats it.

• Open IIS Manager 
    • Expand - Your server
    • Expand - Application pool
    • Right-click Umbraco pool
    • Choose "Recycle"
    Cheers
    Jan Borup Coyle
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft