Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Klaus Hebsgaard 10 posts 40 karma points
    Apr 11, 2014 @ 15:13
    Klaus Hebsgaard

Scheduled tasks weekly and daily

I am trying to schedule tasks for daily and weekly execution.
    This is done plain and simple by setting this in umbracoSettings.config:

<task log="true" alias="DailyMemberExtraction" interval="86400" url="url1"/>
    <task log="true" alias="DailyMemberCardExtraction" interval="86400" url="url2"/>
    <task log="true" alias="WeeklySubscribeNews" interval="604800" url="url3"/>
    <task log="true" alias="WeeklyEnterYourEmail" interval="604800" url="url3"/>

However these tasks are executed very often - several times a day. Furthermore they are executed upon deployment.

So my question is, am I using this feature wrong? And is this feature reliable?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 11, 2014 @ 16:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Klaus

What version of Umbraco are you using?

Not sure why the tasks are hit several times pr. day...perhaps it's an issue related to the version of Umbraco in use. Perhaps it's not.

In regards to wether it's reliable or not I think Bjørn Fridals comment on his own blogpost about keeping Umbraco alive makes a good point about it http://betafirm.com/how-to-keep-umbraco-awake-and-alive#comment-17 - So in short if you can find another way to do it it may be more reliable.

Hope this helps.

/jan

• Richard Soeteman 4036 posts 12864 karma points MVP
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 13:30
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Klaus,

As Jan mentioned propably because the site is not active all the time. This is one of the reasons I wrote task scheduler to specify a day/time instead of setting an interval. You might want to check that package out.

Cheers,

Richard

• Klaus Hebsgaard 10 posts 40 karma points
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 17:08
    Klaus Hebsgaard

Ok, thank you for the answers. Just to make this complete I use Umbraco v6.1.6

However as I understand your answers, I should not use the built in scheduler... So Windows scheduled tasks sounds like a resonable solution to me...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft