Karla Richie

Dropping .aspx from our url returns 404 Error

Version 4.5.2

Was originally on a 2003 R2 server/ IIS6 / .Net 3.5

Migrated to

Windows 2008 R2 / IIS7 / .Net 3.5

apppool=Classic / applied IIS7 classic wildcard mapping

code for hiding .aspx applied = "umbracoUseDirectoryUrls" value="true"

When performing redirects, receiving a page 404 error - File or Directory not found

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable

If I apply url http://www.int-sitename.com/mmm.aspx/searchresults?searchterms=test the page loads successfully.

If I apply the same url without the .aspx, I get the 404 error.

I have applied the changes from this article: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/how-to-switch-your-site-to-usedirectoryurls=true-when-it-was-previously-=false

I really could use some help here if anyone could provide some direction. Let me know if I need to provide more details of the issue.

Kind Regards!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 22, 2013 @ 21:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Karla and welcome to our :)

What if you add a trailing slash to the url? Does it then work?

In that case you need to edit the UmbracoSettings.config file in the /config/ folder. Look for the <addTrailingSlash> section and set it to false. You might need to recycle the app pool or simply just touch the web.config in order to have the change take effect.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Karla Richie 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 23, 2013 @ 14:14
    Karla Richie

Thank you so much for your reply, Jan!!!

I applied the trailing slash and continue to receive the same error.  When I looked for the <addTrailingSlash> in the UmbracoSettings, I could not even locate it in the file . . is that bad?  :-)

Here is more information . . . If I key the url  http://www-int.sitename.com/mmm.aspx a trailing slash is added and the page loads successfully.  If I remove the .aspx from it, I get the 404-File or directory not found.

I applied the fix to hide/remove the .aspx, but it doesn't seem to be working either.  What am I doing wrong or missing . . . I feel like it's something simple?

Thanks for the help!!  :-) 

May 23, 2013 @ 21:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Karla

Hmmm, perhaps my memory is playing a trick on me. Maybe this has been added in releases after 4.5 making it much easier to configure.

So undo the addTrailingSLash section stuff since it most likely did not exist in v4.5 of Umbraco.

Have you checked that the hostname has been setup for the root page inside Umbraco?

I'm must admit I'm running out of ideas though...

/Jan

May 24, 2013 @ 16:43
    Karla Richie

Hi Jan!!

Thank you so much for your willingness to help me!!  It has been much appreciated and I will check the hostname as you suggested.  If you don't mind, could you tell me where to find that and confirm?

Thanks so much!!

Kind Regards,

Karla

May 25, 2013 @ 11:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Karla

Usually the hostnames are added to the home node in Umbraco (The frontpage of your website).

So simply right click on it and choose "manage hostnames" from the context menu that appears. Has anything been setup in here?

/Jan

May 29, 2013 @ 15:11
    Karla Richie

My apologies for not responding sooner on this, as I have been on vacation!

I see that we have applied the domain name, as the field description states (ei: yourdomain.com, www.yourdomain.com ), but not the hostname.  However, I have made a break through!  :-)  I removed the line, "umbracoUseDirectoryUrls"value="true", from the web.config file and we no longer receive a 404 error.  It didn't work immediately, even though I had restarted the site, but the next day, the developer mentioned it was working (to my surprise).  So hiding the .aspx breaks it?

Thanks,

Karla

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft