Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Espen Ruud Schultz 6 posts 36 karma points
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 09:36
    Espen Ruud Schultz

Language on the login screen

How does Umbraco deside what language to use on the login screen?

I use english languaged Chrome on english languaged Windows, with english language setting in Chrome, but live in Norway - and I get norwegian language.  Is the language desided on IP adress?  Does this mean that if I go to Finland with my own laptop and on my own website, I wouldn't understand a word?  Isn't this breaking a few "rules"?  First the rule to enforce the user language settings in the browser?

(btw, the norwegian language file no.xml has to be renamed to nb.xml for norwegian to work. reading earlier posts from 2009 helped me fix this. i sure hope this bug fixing pace isn't normal for umbraco? 4 years and the bug is still there o_O)

• Owen 123 posts 246 karma points
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 10:24
    Owen

The language of backend is control by setting.

Login to umbraco backend, open "User" section, and choose a user, choose a language you want

Feb 10, 2013 @ 11:13
    Espen Ruud Schultz

On the backend yes, but not on the login screen before a user actually logs in.

• Matthias 87 posts 173 karma points
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 15:01
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 19:06
    Espen Ruud Schultz

Ok, thanx.

Then somehow my default language have been set to norwegian on both my test sites.  The latest 4.x and the new 6.x version.

But trying to change the default language I find in the backend's "Settings\Languages\Culture Name", but it's already set to "English (United States)".

Am I missing something?  I'm still clueless as to how Umbraco desides what language to choose on the login screen.  How do I set the default language if the above is not the way to do it?  And shouldn't I get the option to choose a default language during the installation?

• Matthias 87 posts 173 karma points
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 19:12
    Matthias

to be sure: you have seen that you can set umbracoDefaultUILanguage in web.config?

Feb 10, 2013 @ 20:22
    Espen Ruud Schultz

Thanx again.  I did not know, but now I do :-)

The problem, however, is that the umbracoDefaultUILanguage in Web.config is set to "en".

This continues to give me the impression that the login screen have its own way to choose what language to use.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft