Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2013 @ 20:04
    Morten Bock

Emtpy applications and trees config files

Hi all

I'm seeing a weird issue on a site running 4.9.1, where it seems like umbraco is overwriting the applications.config and trees.config files with empty files. This results in a YSOD when trying to log into the backend, because there are of course no applications/trees available.

The files are supposed to be updated when Umbraco starts, but I can't figure out why it would write empty files, other than if it was out of diskspace. But since I can upload new files with no problem, that doesn't seem likely either.

Have anyone else experianced this?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2013 @ 20:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Morten

We have one install running 4.9.1 and we're not seeing this issue at all - don't know if it's because we have a specially compiled version of the cms.dll to deal with the "empty recycle" bin bug perhaps.

But we're going to upgrade this installation soonish to get rid of some of the further bugs this version is suffering from. Don't know if that's an option in your case perhaps?

/Jan

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 15:55
    Morten Bock

I think I narrowed down the issue.

The problem is, that at the time where the application was starting up, the disk space. So it did write the files, but was not able to add anything to them. That means, the next time it runs, the files exist, and therefore it will not try to write them again. And voilá, you have no apps or trees.

I might submit a bug report on this, as it could probably be fixed rather easily.

• stephanie 52 posts 133 karma points
    May 27, 2013 @ 15:43
    stephanie

I've experienced this twice now -- first time the host confirmed that there was a disk space problem. I believe it is the cause of the second as well. Cloud hosting seems to have a few more issues compared to a dedicated box.

Steph

• Rob 43 posts 79 karma points
    Sep 17, 2013 @ 03:54
    Rob

I just had the same problem. It started with a null reference error once you loged into the umbraco site. Unfortunatly moved all the files from the server to ensure i had the latest xml files. :)

That left me with applications.config files both on my server and my development system that were blank - no xml.

Fortunatly i had a different install of umbraco for another clients site. I juste copied the xml from it into my current site and everything was fixed. How this file can get corrupt I don't know, but all it does is define the admin menu. Basically the same in all installs.

The trees file is basically the same. Until you modify the environment even the installs source could be used as a recover your site.

So if you don't have a back up. Don't sweat it hard, just download umbraco again and use the default files in the install.

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Sep 15, 2015 @ 17:38
    Mark Bowser

Just had this happen to me on an umbraco 7.1.8 site. Thanks for the help.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Sep 15, 2015 @ 18:48
    Nicholas Westby

This was an Umbraco bug fixed with newer versions of Umbraco: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-5126

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft