Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    Jan 07, 2013 @ 11:58
    Dan Evans

Documents disappearing from front end in 4.11

I have had 2 incidents over the past few days where documents that are marked as published in the backend are missing from the front end. Republishing fixes this but is this a known issue.

The only errors I can find relate to the sitemapprovider - I have followed this post on this issue:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/24814-getting-sitemap-provider-error-and-other-errors-in-the-umbraco-logs

If the sitemap provider section is not needed then why is it still in the default web.config and what exactly is umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider for?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 07, 2013 @ 20:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

I have not seen this issue before and from what I can tell from skimming the issue tracker it does not seem to have been reported. You can keep track of known issues here http://issues.umbraco.org/issues/U4

Do you have some API interaction or some custom stuff that could be the cause of this issue perhaps? Or is it "vanilla"?

Regarding the sitemap provider it's my understanding that it can safely be removed from the web.config unless you're in fact using it for something. I suppose most people are not using it for anything but rumour has it that people that are used to doing sharepoint are keen on it for some reason (I'm really not sure what it does but Seb told me that if you don't know what it's for you don't use it and can the safely disable it :)).

You can disable it by setting <siteMap defaultProvider="UmbracoSiteMapProvider" enabled="false">

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jan 14, 2013 @ 14:17
    Dan Evans

OK, I think I probably need to provide more information before submitting this as an issue. I have disable the sitemap provider though.

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 18:35
    Funka!

We have a client on 4.9.1 that mentioned to us the other week documents were "randomly disappearing" from their site and despite my best efforts to reproduce, still not sure what is happening and haven't ever seen this myself. This person is actually one of our more computer-savvy clients, so I was initially tempted to say "user error?" but doesn't seem likely. Despite being very smart on the computer, she does have a somewhat slow machine and somtimes uses I.E. despite our recommendations to use something else. The probem/frustration I have right now is that I have no way to reproduce this or even guess as to what's wrong. Like Dan says, I've hesitated to raise as an issue since I don't even know what to say about it.

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 18:39
    Funka!

P.S., this is a very "vanilla" site, the only two packages installed are DAMP and Media Icons by Matt Brailsford. No user controls or other custom binaries etc. Oh and just checked, is actually 4.9.0 not 4.9.1.

Jan 14, 2013 @ 19:13
    Dan Evans

Interesting. We have DAMP installed too and I was wondering if that was connected. See this post from me a while ago:

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/digibiz-advanced-media-picker/digibiz-advanced-media-picker/35795-DAMP-Images-disappearing-in-Umbraco-491

This is the same installation which has been upgraded from 4.9 to 4.11

Jan 16, 2013 @ 15:21
    Dan Evans

Setting sitemap to enabled="false" results in an exception when attempting to publish pages:

("This feature is currently disabled, please enable section system.web/siteMap in the configuration file.").

We have commented out the sitemap section.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 18, 2013 @ 20:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

Yes, my bad - I misunderstood what Sebastiaan told me - as you say above it should simply be removed from the web.config or just uncommented.

Glad you figured it out and sorry for my late reply.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft