Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eric Herlitz 97 posts 129 karma points
    Oct 11, 2012 @ 23:51
    Eric Herlitz

Why o why is IFileSystem internal?

I was looking at these new providers and found the FileSystemProvider. Great was my first thought, something to replace the missing functionality of Hive providers from Umb5. 

Almost, somewhere someone descided to make the bases of this provider internal

namespace Umbraco.Core.IO
    {
        internal interface IFileSystem
        {
            //...
        }
    }

So I downloaded the sources of 6.0.0 and found the same results.

Question

Are there any plans to make this provider public? I'd say that it would be really neat to have it that way. If not your should really stop calling this module a "provider".

:)

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Oct 12, 2012 @ 12:24
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Eric,

I hear your frustration ... at the moment the decision to mark certain new classes/interfaces/methods as "internal" is that they are currently subject to change - which can be managed with the core codebase, but would be a nightmare for 3rd-party developers.

I believe once the API has been decided and agreed (lots of talk on the mailing list at the moment), then they will be marked as "public".

Cheers, Lee.

• Eric Herlitz 97 posts 129 karma points
    Oct 12, 2012 @ 12:32
    Eric Herlitz

Thanks Lee, excellent future I hear! :)

• Peter Hancock 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 26, 2012 @ 03:25
    Peter Hancock

Is this any closer?  We're looking at this at the moment to run on AWS, so writing an S3 provider is key.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 26, 2012 @ 10:13
    Lee Kelleher

I believe that IFileSystem will be made public in v6.0, (it is still marked as internal for v4.11).

The best place to keep track on this issue is here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1156

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft