Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin 278 posts 662 karma points
    Jan 27, 2012 @ 16:17
    Martin

IFrame Footer???

Hi all, 

Im after some advice or ideas with a footer issue.

I have an Umbraco site with a hosted shop cart solution.

My issue is with the footer of the Shop. I would like it to match up with the Umbraco footer.

My first idea would be to use an Iframe, but theres the issue of not being able to specify just the footer div.

Is there any ideas on how to include just the footer as a Iframe? 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2012 @ 23:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Martin

How is your shop setup? Does it live on the same server and domain as your umbraco website?

I'm thinking that using an ajax call might be an option - you should be able to just fetch the #footer part from your umbraco website - however there might be some crossdomain stuff to be aware of.

But tell us a bit more about how it's been setup then some better ideas may come to mind :)

/Jan

• Paul Kaplan 86 posts 139 karma points
    Jan 28, 2012 @ 16:01
    Paul Kaplan

Aren't IFrames kind of old?

Jan 28, 2012 @ 17:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

Indeed they are but sometimes it's the best option dependent on the project and what one is trying to achieve :)

/Jan

Feb 01, 2012 @ 11:18
    Martin

Hi Jan, 

The shop is a separate hosted ecommerce solution, specifically Big Commerce.

Ive got it setup to use a sub domain, with an external link in my main navigation.

I'm thinking of maybe just making it static if its too much trouble.

Thanks

Feb 02, 2012 @ 19:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Martin

Hmm, making it static would return the whole site in the iframe? Don't know if there is a technique to overcome this so you only get the part that you actually need. I think an ajax call would be the way to go. But there can be some challenges where you need to setup a crossdomain policy.

Seems a bit much work actually - does the footer content change very often or is it rarely changed? Beacuse then it would perhaps be easier to simply just hardcode the footer content and just style it the same?

/Jan

Feb 03, 2012 @ 10:05
    Martin

Hi Jan, 

Yeah, I did a rethink and decided to change the layout, so that the footer is not dynamic.

Ive just hardcoded the essentail links.

Thanks for your help anyway Jan.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft