Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Nov 24, 2011 @ 12:05
    Dan

Upload large files

Hi,

I'm wondering if the desktop media uploader should work with large files (40+Mb) or not?  I've set the web.config settings to the below, but it just seems to stall part way through after 5 mins or so - the file item in DMU just gets a red outline and the progress bar stops.

The web.config settings are:

<httpRuntime requestValidationMode="2.0" maxRequestLength="65536" executionTimeout="1200" />

64Mb and 20 mins, if my calculations are right. 

I've also tried via the standard media upload but it too just hangs with no feedback.  I've then tried the 'chunked upload' package, but it doesn't work with the new schema, and I'm using 4.7.1.

Could the host be overriding the upload/timeout limits?

Any advice on how to get this working would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 24, 2011 @ 20:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

Have you tried to set the values to more than 64MB and 20 min's just to see if it helps?

/Jan

Nov 25, 2011 @ 10:33
    Dan

Hi Jan,

Yeah, I've tried adding a zero to both maxRequestLength and executionTimeout.  I've just timed it now and it seems to drop around 2 mins into the upload.

I'll contact the hosting company to see if they're imposing some kind of override (no idea if that's possible but it's my only option at the moment).

Nov 25, 2011 @ 11:28
    Dan

Okay, so here's the 'fix':

Upon confirmation from the hosting company - they had an upload limit set in IIS which was overriding the web.config settings.  They changed this to match web.config and this allowed the process to run much further but DMU was still stalling right at the end of the upload and stopping the whole thing from completing.

The second thing is that in IIS7 there's apparently an automatic 30Mb upload file limit.  This can be overwritten in IIS but it can also be changed in web.config too by adding the following code into the '<system.webServer>' section:

<security>
            <requestFiltering>
                <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="671088640"/>
            </requestFiltering>
        </security>

Note, the number here is in bytes, not kilobytes.

With all of this done, the upload succeeds!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 25, 2011 @ 12:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

Happy to see you got it sorted.

I was not aware that the settings in <security> could have some influence, something new learned :) #h5yr.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft