Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott 69 posts 146 karma points
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 15:45
    Scott

How do you rename /umbraco

I'm either not looking in the right places, or there just isn't a lot of information about how to secure the umbraco login. I would really rather not give people an admin authentication form to hammer away at, if possible. So, here are the two ideas I've had so far, both of which have failed.

1) Two websites. My website site sits behind various routers and firewalls. I thought that I would make two websites, both pointing at the same directory on the server where umbraco is install. One site would be able to hit /umbraco/ for administration and would only be accessible inside our network, and then the other that would be accessed by the world, from the outside, and it wouldn't have access to /umbraco/. So for that second site, in IIS, I set a virtual directory called "umbraco" that just redirected back to the root of my website. But then the rest of the site fails when I do that. Seems any reference to "/umbraco" in the code gets a reference to the virtual rather than the physical.

2) Rename "/umbraco". So first I renamed the physical folder to something else. Then in my web.config I changed the "umbracopath" app setting. I've read of various problems people have had with renaming the umbraco directory but they all seem to be with JS and images. But when I did this the site wouldn't even load. I would get 

Parser Error Message: The file '/umbraco/masterpages/default.master' does not exist.

• jc 64 posts 101 karma points
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 16:06
    jc

For option #1, you can set up umbraco to be load balanced, with your admin available from within your intranet and your content available to everyone else:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/installing-umbraco-for-load-balanced-environments

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 16:08
    Rich Green

As far as I know option 2 does not work without issues, or at least that was true when I last tried (pre 4.5)

Rich

• Seth Niemuth 275 posts 397 karma points
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 16:22
    Seth Niemuth

I have got option 2 working decently and I haven't found any problems that I haven't able to fix yet. That error message will be what is used in your template for your homepage as it will be looking for the umbraco masterpages. I had to do a search across my solution for '/umbraco'. I know there is definitely a place or two in the CSS to change the icon location.

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 18:30
    Daniel Bardi

You culd use url rewriting to allow for the use of /admin instead of /umbraco... This can be done in umbraco.

Also on IIS server using url redirection.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft