Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andre 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 20:04
    Andre

1 to 1 Site Localization in Umbraco

We are currently evaluating CMS systems for several upcoming websites we will be building and have found Umbraco to meet most of our needs.

We have not been able to see if Umbraco will permit a 1:1 site localization feature. I have seen references for localization by using a seperate tree for each language. This will not work for our purposes (or at least is not ideal).

I have seen references or links to a 1:1 solution for older versions but the links seem to be dead or point to the main Wiki page so no details to be found.

Any help would be appreciated so we can finalize our decision.

• Pasang Tamang 258 posts 458 karma points
    Mar 23, 2011 @ 01:08
    Pasang Tamang

For 1:1 site solution, you have to define property of document type for each language. like

pageTitle_en
    pageTitle_fr

and in xslt you can access like this

<xsl:variable name="mylanguage" select="umbraco.library:RequestQueryString('language')"/>
    <xsl:value-of select="$currentPage/*[name() = concat('pageTitle',$mylanguage) ]"/>

Please let me know if this helps you or please post me your mail id so I can send you further example

Mar 23, 2011 @ 12:41
    Andre

Thanks Pasang

This looks easy enough for the developer. Does it make it very complicated for the editor(s)?

I am looking for a solution that is flexible for the developers but very easy to maintain for the editors as they will not be very technically inclined.

I really would appreciate an example in context if you have one. My email is [email protected]

Thanks
    Andre

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Mar 23, 2011 @ 13:25
    Michael Latouche

Hi Andre,

For the editors, I see to ways of doing:

1. Group the property of each language together on a same property tab. This can be usefull if it is the same editor who will do all/multiple translations, because then (s)he sees the original text while translating in a new language.
    2. Create separate language tabs on your DocType properties, and assign the properties on language base to the different tabs. This gives a beter of your doctype, and I would certainly do like this if each language will be filled in by somebody else.

Hope this gives you some extra perspective on how to achieve this for your editors.

Cheers,

Michael.

PS: I once had links & explainations abut 1:1 localization, I will search at home tonight to see if I find anything back.

Mar 23, 2011 @ 16:42
    Andre

Thanks Micheal,

From your description it seems like it would be pretty straight forward for the editor(s) to manage the multi-lingual content.

I would really appreciate any documentation or examples you may have on hand to help me figure this out a little faster.

I was also reading that the latest versions of Umbraco support the Razor view engine instead of XSLT. I presume I could manage the multi-ligual functionality described by both you and Pasang with Razor. Can you see any difficulties here?

Again thanks for your help. Looking forward to start playing around with Umbraco. It looks like a very powerful and flexible platform...

Andre

Mar 23, 2011 @ 16:54
    Michael Latouche

Hi Andre,

I haven't used Razor yet, but from what I heard, you can do pretty much the same with Razor as with Xslt. So it's most likely that you could manage the multi-langual aspects with Razor. Note that Razor is not replacing XSLT, you can just use one or the other at your best convenience :-)

Cheers,

Michael.

Mar 24, 2011 @ 10:54
    Michael Latouche

Hello Andre,

I have checked and all my links to 1:1 localization refer to outdated/not present anymore information... I hope you got enough information to be able to go further :-)

Cheers,

Michael.

Mar 24, 2011 @ 15:32
    Andre

Thanks for all your help Michael

I think I now have enough information to give it a test run

Andre

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft