Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ulla Skaanning 67 posts 97 karma points
    Jan 24, 2011 @ 19:45
    Ulla Skaanning

PDF files cannot be opened in IE

Hi

On one of my sites I have uploaded a number of PDF documents, I have then made a link to these from the text on certain pages - but when I click the link in IE it cannot load the entire document.

It shows the first page and then it just stops there and eventually freezes the browser.

Any ideas - It works like a charm in Safari and Firefox so I have no idea what could be the problem?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

// Ulla

• Fredrik.M 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 27, 2011 @ 07:44
    Fredrik.M

Its sound like IE is the problem!

Is this problem only occuring in IE on your computer, or on other computes to?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2011 @ 08:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ulla

So this be understood as you're trying to open the PDF directly in the browser?

If it's IE8 that is the browser in question maybe this can help? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/470171

/Jan

Jan 30, 2011 @ 13:34
    Ulla Skaanning

This occurs on all-the machines I've tried it on, but Only IE has the problem. My guess is also that IE is the problem, and that it can only be fixed locally client-side. But I don't wan't to tell my client that, unless I'm completely sure the problem has nothing to do with Umbraco.

Jan 30, 2011 @ 13:36
    Ulla Skaanning

Please note that There is no ERROR occurring - the browser is able to read the first page, but no more. So I don't get that weird blank page mentioned int he article above.

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2011 @ 14:09
    Morten Bock

You could test is rather quickly by uploading the same PDF using FTP, and then try downloading it. At least that way you can tell if umbraco has done anything to the file while uploading it.

You might also want to try and upload it to another server, and see if that changes the issue. I could be an IIS setting, that maybe serves the wrong MIME type or something.

You are not using any sort of download handler/proxy on the site? You get the file directly like example.com/media/1234/somefile.pdf ?

Jan 30, 2011 @ 14:45
    Ulla Skaanning

I get the file directly yes - no fancy stuff or anything. 

If the server does do something to the MIME type, is there anything that can be done about that? Can I put in some code to give it the right MIME or is it just lost cause??

Jan 30, 2011 @ 14:47
    Ulla Skaanning

Oh - and the files works just fine when you right click and save it to the desktop and then open it, so I don't think its getting corrupted during upload - but I'll definitely try uploading through FTP rather than Umbraco, just to test it.

Jan 30, 2011 @ 15:01
    Ulla Skaanning

I've tried uploading the file Via Dreamweaver now, and it still doessen't work - so it doesn't seem like Umbraco is corrupting the file during upload.

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2011 @ 15:06
    Morten Bock

A quick google gave me this:

http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2008/03/25/how-to-add-mime-types-with-iis7-web-config.aspx

You might be able to check what mime types you are getting currently, by using Fiddler (http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft